Support

Thank you all so much for your kind words about my recent author's note. I am still fighting this battle, but I will not lose. Promise.

Here's another update for you that I hope you all enjoy. Liam and Zayn's bond will soon begin to build rapidly.

WARNING: mentions of eating disorders/inability to eat

Please read carefully, loves, and know that you are all lovely fucking warriors. Love you all ❤

Chapter 21:

Flashback

I sat at the breakfast table, staring down rather blankly at my plate of food. It was the very first day I was living at my aunt's house. I heard her break down the night before, and I didn't know what to do about it because I was busy being rather terrified myself.

I heard her sobs, and I sank deeper underneath my bed covers, shaking in fear at the constant memories of my father breaking into my room at random hours of the night, of the pain he caused me, the secrets he kept. I was so afraid that it would happen again while my aunt was unaware, even though I knew that he was being held in a jail cell until his trial.

I listened as my aunt cry, and I knew why she was sobbing so heavily. She was mourning her engagement that didn't last. She was mourning the man she loved that no longer fell asleep beside her. Yet... she was still taking care of me. I didn't deserve it.

I watched as my aunt sat across from me at the table and offered me a stunning smile. If I hadn't have heard it, I would have never have guessed that she was a crying mess the night before. She seemed so whole and put together now. I wondered how she kept up such an amazing act.

"Did you sleep okay last night, love?" She asked as she poured herself a glass of orange juice. I shrugged my shoulders, still feeling so ashamed. I remembered every detail of my confession to her, every facial expression that crossed her features. She was shocked, then horrified, then disgusted, and then full of rage and anger and agony, and I didn't want to think... but I knew... that she was disgusted in me.

Because how couldn't she be? I allowed so much to happen. For so long.

"Zayn, you're safe now, love. Nobody can hurt you here. I won't let anybody hurt you anymore," She vowed, speaking to me in such a strong voice as she reached across the table and squeezed my hand in hers.

I knew she meant it. I could tell that she would do anything to keep me safe, but I didn't understand why. I didn't understand why she believed me or why she was willing to tear apart her life for me. I wasn't worth it.

"Okay," I simply said. I didn't feel like talking at all. In fact, it all seemed like a dream, though I didn't know whether it was a good or bad one. I was terrified of what I'd done and whether my father would get me again, but I was also hoping I wouldn't wake up to live another day of the torture he made me suffer through.

I saw my aunt's face fall, hopeless, for just a second, but then she smiled kindly again and said, "Well, we shouldn't waste this breakfast. Is that how you like your eggs, dear?" She questioned, trying to change the subject.

"They're fine," I said, looking down at the scrambled eggs on my plate. "I'm not hungry," I added, and my aunt looked up at me again.

"You didn't eat dinner last night either, Zayn. You should eat something," She offered, but I didn't give a reply. Instead, I lowered my eyes in shame, and I refused to look back up at my aunt.

"Zayn... your mum asked me to take care of you if anything were to happen to her. I did, but if I would have known... I would have done more. But all I can do now is... take it all one step at a time. Yeah? Together. One bite at a time," She offered, and I knew I had to do this for her.