froyo? || jenlisa

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"I can tell when someone's lost in this big city, babe."

"Leave me alone," I say. I don't need to mess around with someone like her, someone who calls a stranger "babe." I know her type. They walk into your life and walk back out without giving a shit about you.
"What's the name of your hotel?" She ignores my barbed comment, a smile tugging at the edge of her lips. They are very pink, and I frown at myself. Normally I try not to notice these details about people because it's what I used to do when people modelled for me.

"It's Go The Fuck Away."

"Are you always this antagonistic?" she asks.

I stop short, eye her suspiciously. What is she insinuating? "What are you-"

"Relax, relax, I'm joking, jeez," she laughs. I stare at this intriguing person again, fascinated in the way she laughs. Like how she throws her head back, her hair flopping in her face, and lets out that giggle, full of joy and carelessness like she doesn't have a worry in the whole wide world. Which brings me back to reality - why am I still talking to her? As if reading my mind, she says, "I want to help."

"What's in it for you? If you want money, you can leave me the fuck alone." I say, flooded with unpleasant memories.

"I get to help. Which makes me happy." she grins.

"Do you ever stop smiling?"

"No." Her grin widens. "Come on, tell me the name of your hotel."

I sigh, giving in. She seems genuine enough, and I do need help. I tell her the name of my hotel, and she immediately seems surprised if not shocked.

"I work there."

"So, you're helping me because you work there and want money," I summarize and see the quick flash of frustration on her face. Well, she can go fuck herself with my opinions because I've had enough people stepping over me already.

"No, I mean that I live there for now. There's a banquet in a few weeks and I'm being hired as the main chef."

"Main chef," I repeat, almost disbelievingly. Is she kidding me?

"Yes babe," she says, the frustration already gone from her face, replaced by the same blinding smile.

"Do I know you?" Now that I think of it, I think I know of her. If she's who I think she is. That face. That's why she seems familiar. That face has graced the cover of many magazines. Magazines that have my own work displayed on there. "You're- You're-"

"Jennie Kim," she says, flashing me another smile.

"Chef extraordinaire," I continue for her.

Perrie shrugs with one shoulder. "Well, I wouldn't say so."

"You're a five star chef for God's sake."

She shrugs again and waves down a cab, suddenly nonchalant. We get into the car without any further conversation, and she tells the driver where to go. As we speed past all the buildings, I start to picture them in my head, like what filters I can use to make them come out perfect. "So, you're Lalisa Manoban, aren't you?"

I jerk out of my thoughts. "How do you know?"

"The world isn't as big as you'd think. I have connections, you know, it's pure coincidence that we met though.
Aren't you the moody photographer that takes photos of weird stuff?"

"I don't think so, Jennie Kim," I say, letting a smirk drift onto my face for the first time in weeks. Yes, it's a weird feeling but - I feel more alive than I have in months. It's exciting and new and everything that's unfamiliar. "I mean, it feels like it's not just coincidental."