That Smile

Anyways for those who are still reading this story of mine, I thank you! I know I am not the best at updating. I try my best since I work full time and my usual time off consists of me sleeping or more sleeping maybe some eating :P. Anyways if you are still with me comment and vote, please! I would love to know all your ideas!

CHAPTER 8

THAT SMILE

I woke up abruptly. Panicking when all I saw was unfamiliar shadows and darkness. As I looked around, I remembered that this was not my room or the forest, but the room I was so kindly offered. My heart started to mellow as my eyes adjusted to the scenery of the room that now came back to memory.

How did it become so dark? How long have I been sleeping? "Oh shit!" I said aloud as I remembered I was supposed to go down to have dinner. I flung my legs off the bed and stood up with a stretch. I walked over to the bedroom door and slowly cracked it open. The light from downstairs was still on. I quietly walked down the stairs toward the kitchen. I was startled by the ringing of the big grandfather clock that rung. It rung 10 times saying that it was only 10 o'clock at night. "I'm just 4 hours late no big deal." I laughed to myself.

When I walked into the kitchen, I was surprised to see the back of two heads sitting at the breakfast nook. One was obviously Dr. Targett, but I couldn't tell who the other one was. All I could see was the brown hair covering their scalp.

I tried to sneak back out of the kitchen, so I wouldn't disturb them, but as I turned around the floorboard creaked causing my presence to be noticed.

"Crimson! You're awake! I was just telling your friend here that he can come back tomorrow since you were asleep." Dr.Targett said from behind me. My interest peaked when he mentioned the word friend. My curiosity killing my own inner cat made me turn around to get a look at the friend he was talking about. I was greeted by two smiling faces one older and one very familiar that I was expecting never to see again.

"Lucas? What are you doing here?" I gasped. I patted my head a little trying to flatten all the hair that I am sure is a mess from sleeping.

Dr. Targett spoke. "Crimson, that is not a way to greet a guest." He spoke sternly.

"Sorry Lucas, it's nice to see you. And sorry Dr. Targett I was just surprised." I responded feeling like a small child that just got scolded by a disappointed parent. Lucas stood there awkwardly looking down. You could tell he was smiling and trying not to laugh. I'm sure he didn't want to be reprimanded by the doctor either.

"Dr. Targett may I take Lucas upstairs, so we can talk?" I asked.

"Young lady it might be a little old school, but I don't approve of a young man and young women being in a closed bedroom together, at least not in my house." He said giving us both serious looks.

"I am tired though, so I will head upstairs, you may both stay down here as long as you keep it quiet." Dr. Targett responded to my request as he relaxed his face. He started walking to the stair to head to bed. He stopped next to me and looked down to face me. "When he leaves remember to lock the door and to turn off the lights." He said to me and then continued walking. I took a couple of steps forward towards Lucas to go sit down next to me but was stopped when I heard my name from behind me from the older gentleman. "Yes?" I responded to his call. "You don't need to call me Dr. Targett, just call me Richard and remember there is food still there for you." He answered as he continued upstairs not looking back again. I nodded even though he turned around not waiting for my answer.

I turned around to face Lucas. I was startled by how close he had gotten during my and Richard's conversation. Suddenly, he was within arm's reach and I hadn't even heard him move. I shoved him a little making my way past him. "You better be careful; the doctor might get the wrong idea with you standing that close to me." I joked, making us both laugh.