Chapter 29

*Jess POV*

Jessica,

Nic had been trying to speak to me but I wasn’t giving him any response. I was just looking at Alex’s face with my hands on his cheeks. My hands were bloody but I didn’t care right now. I needed Alex to wake up. I couldn’t go back to his room without him.

Jessica, I am really sorry but you need to go back.

“No Nic, I can’t, he can’t.” I cried.

Nic looked at me with some sadness in his eyes He didn’t say anything in return and I lowered my head. I knew I shouldn’t have done it but he wanted me to do it. He didn’t want to be a reaper.

My heart moved as I felt Alex’s head move.

I turned back so fast and looked down at Alex. His eyes were flickering before he opened them and focused on us. He blinked a few times and I relaxed as his normal hazelnut colour was there.

“Jess? Why are you crying?” his voice was soft and quiet.

I didn’t reply and rested my head on his chest. I let my tears fall down my cheeks and onto his chest. He moved his hands and held my arms while his thumb softly moved across my skin.

I don’t know how long we stayed like this but it must have been a while. I could hear Alex breathing softly from above my head. I slowly moved from his chest and saw he was watching me.

“I hate you right now.” I said with a growl in my voice.

“Jess,” he was watching me sadly.

“This will take a hell of an apology to fix this between us.” I pulled away completely so I wasn’t touching him.

“I know baby, I’ll never stop trying to make you forgive me. But it did work.”

I glared at him. I opened my mouth to respond but was cut off by a large bang from outside of the cave.  I frowned at Alex and walked over to see what was happening. Nothing prepared me for what I saw.

*

*Lexy POV*

I lay on my bed with my bed tangled with Daniel’s. I was focusing on his face as he was sleeping. Creepy, I know.

I lifted my hand and started to trace his bearded jaw. His lips tugged into a smirk as I did it.

“Stop Lex, I’m trying to sleep.”

I smiled at the nickname he always called me now.

“I’m bored.” I mumbled.

“Entertain yourself then, I’m tired.” He replied without opening his eyes.

“That’s what I’m doing.”

He didn’t reply so I smirked at myself. I leaned towards him and pressed my lips against the corner of his lips then pressed mine against his. I moved my lips and bit down on his bottom lip. His hand that rested on my waist started to move to my back and pull me towards him.

“I thought you were tired.” I said as I pulled away.

“You’ve woken me up now, now shut up and finish what you started love.” He growled.

I laughed then pressed my lips against his again. I moved my body and climbed on top of him. He moved so he was sitting up with me on his lap, our lips still connected. My hands ran under his shirt so I can feel his abs which he always enjoyed me doing.

He turned our bodies so I lay on the bed on my back with him hovering over me. His lips pulled away from me so he could remove my top. His lips returned to mine before kissing down my neck.

A knock at the door stopped us.

“For fuck sake!” Daniel growled before standing up and walking over to the door.

He pulled it open and Nate was stood at the door looking very worried.

“Have you both not seen what is outside?!” he yelled at us.

I quickly put my top back on and walked over to the window. I opened the curtains and looked outside. I felt Daniel stand next to me as I looked around.

There were reapers waiting outside the wards. There were thousands of them and looked to go on for miles. They came straight for the commander headquarters and not the other ones like Jess had said.

The wards were built up high that protected us but I knew the reapers would be able to destroy them. If enough force hit them then they would shatter and become nothing.

“We need to go, there is no escaping this now.” Daniel spoke in my ear.

I nodded without looking away. I watched as the first rom of reapers started to walk forward then move into a run. They were going to start bashing the ward.

Daniel gripped my shoulder and pulled me away from the window. The last thing I saw was a bright light before the ward started to crack.

I pulled my bag from under my bed and pulled out a set of armour. My armour was made from the scraps of my brothers' and I needed to wear it.

I attached a lot of daggers to my armour and ran down the hall with Nate by my side. Daniel had left earlier to head to the main hall where all the commanders were.

I saw a movement smash through the window and stop in front of me. I gripped my daggers in my palms as two reapers snarled at us both as they landed in the hall. Nate gripped his sword and nodded at me. We both moved in sync as we attacked them. Black blood sprayed on my blade, the walls and floor.

The reapers dropped to the floor with a thud as we quickly made work of them. A few reapers against us couldn’t take us down. A horde of them is a different story.

We carried on moving through the walls, taking down a few reapers along the way who had managed to get inside through the windows.

I pushed open the hall doors and saw Jess’s father stood with the other commanders. They looked worried about what the reapers were doing. I guessed they didn’t know they would come either.

I searched the room and found Daniel stood with Commander Reed. Daniel looked furious and started to raise his voice. I ran up to them and he smiled as he saw me.

“There are some reapers in the building already, do we have a plan?” I asked them.

“They are getting rogues to fight back and push the reapers. Killing enough of them will make them retreat.” Daniel replied.

“Babe, really? Do you believe this bullshit?” I asked.

“Reed, this is my point. The reapers won’t retreat with a reaper lord with them.” Daniel turned to him.

“I cannot change the rules right now, we need as many rogues as possible to fight them. This needs to happen immediately.”

Reed walked away from us and towards Alistair and Amber. I glared at him and turned my attention to Daniel. He shook his head and motioned for us to get ready.

This has now turned into a battle to the death.

*

*Jess POV*

I watched Alex move and put his shirt back on. I was stood near the entrance of the cave looking outside. I hid as I saw more reapers pass us. Fear was buzzing inside me like an alarm. There looked to be thousands of them near the wards and that terrified me.

I turned back to Alex to see him leaning against the walls.

“Alex, maybe you should stay here? You are really hurt and you could open up your wound.”

“I’m fine, we need to get back to the headquarters. I need to know what is going on.”

He passed me and stood outside of the cave. We kept hidden as we moved towards the headquarters. Nic was behind me and following us too. I didn’t appeal that he was following us as we needed all the help we could get at this moment.

We managed to get towards the back of the headquarters and sneak into the main hall. Everyone looked at us as Alex walked in first. We got surprised looks as Nic stood next to me. We walked over to our father and stopped.

“Alex, what are you doing with a reaper in the headquarters?” our father’s voice boomed.

“We need to talk, right now.” Alex replied with a stronger voice.

“We do not, we have a problem with the reapers right now. We can talk later.” He stated while eying Nic. Nic remained next to me, stood by my legs.

“I don’t give a fuck about the reapers outside; we need to talk right now!” Alex screamed at him.

I flinched as Alex shouted at our father. I gulped as Alex stared him down. Father nodded at walked off with Alex in toll. I didn’t know what they were going to talk about. I had never seen Alex like that before.

“Jessica,” I turned my head to Amber. “Let’s get some armour for you, this battle will begin shortly.”

*

*Alex POV*

He took me to the corner of the hall and stood looking at me, waiting for me to speak. I bet he knew what I wanted to say. He should know. I feel so betrayed.

“Do you want to tell me what this is about Alex?” he asked as he eyed me.

“I think you already know father, or should I call you Alistair instead.” I replied with coldness to my voice.

“How long have you known?”

“Not long, a few days at the most.” I looked behind me and saw Jess talking with Amber, she was smiling at her and started to laugh. “Are you going to tell me the truth?”

He let out a sigh.

“It is truth that you were born a reaper, you have no rogue blood inside you. I found you when you were the age of one in the reaper realm with Amber and Jackson. We were tracking the second reaper lord and found you instead. You weren’t like any other reaper we had encountered before Alex, you looked human.”

“So I was a rare type of reaper but that gives you no right to bring me up like your own.”

“You’re angry.”

“I am furious; you raised me as a rogue when I was always a reaper. I have killed my own kind because of you. Do you know how that makes me feel?” I growled.

“Son, please.” He reached his hand to touch me.

“Don’t touch me, you are not my father. You are not my family.” I took a step back. “God, I don’t know who my real family is.”

“Alex, I am still your father. I brought you up as my own.”

“Don’t you dare say that to me! You are not my family.” I shook my head as the rage started to build inside me.

“What about Jessica and your mother?” his question made my anger escalate.

“Do not bring them into this.”

“They are already involved, I no longer have any power to stop your relationship with your sister even if it does disgust me.”

“What?” my anger started to fade.

“Your relationship you have with her, it is more than a relationship between siblings I know. You didn’t hide it very well.”

At the end of this he was still nothing like a father. What shocked me was that he knew about me and Jess. I didn’t know how he had found out about us. I’m sure we were very careful.

“You have no right to say that to me, we are no longer siblings so our relationship is not forbidden.” I hissed at him. “Don’t talk to me again, I’m done with you.” I snapped before walking away from him.

“We can never be done Alex, never.”

I heard his voice as I walked away. I walked past everyone’s eyes as I moved. I managed to find Jess with Lexy and the boy named Dylan in another room. She was sat on a table with Dylan next to her. She was smiling at him as was talking.

She told me a lot about Dylan, how he was a good person and helped her through the training. I knew he wasn’t a treat to me but I still felt jealous that he was making her smile.

“Alex?” I saw Jess looking at me. “Is everything alright?”

“Everything is perfect.” I gave her a smile.

“Amber told us we need to flag the reapers at the left in exactly twenty minutes, are you going to be with us?” Dylan asked me.

“I need to be with the commanders, we will be hitting them at the front.” I replied.

“Please be careful Alex, do not die again.” She said sternly as she gave me a hug.

“Won’t dream on it.” I chuckled as I returned her hug.

*

Only a few chapters left.