Chapter 22

*Jess POV*

You always know when something bad is about to happen and it frightens you so much. That was me last week after I passed my elite scout training. I was so worried something was going to happen and it did. The news broke me so much I had broken down in front of the instructors.

I had to go back home and that is where I was being taken. I sat in the black car leaning against my seat. I kept my face straight and didn’t move throughout the three hours. I felt so numb.

The car slowly came to a stop. It was so slow it was almost painful. The doors opened before I could catch my breath. My driver, Nathan, stood at the door. He gave me a sad smile as I climbed out. I grabbed my bag and threw it over my shoulder.

I turned from the car and walked towards my house. I saw dried blood on the pathway leading up to the door. I kept my face blank as I opened the door. It normally smelt of my mother’s cooking but that wasn’t there and I smelt nothing, just nothing.

I let my bag drop on the floor next to the front door. I took slow steps towards the front room and saw father stood at the window and Alex was leaning against the sofa. My father was the first to hear me as he looked up.

“Jessica,” his body turned to face me as I stood in the doorway.

“I’ll be in my room.” I cut him off and left the room before he could say anything else.

I felt their eyes on me as I picked up my bag and walked to my room. I shut the door and sank down with my back against it. The tears started to fall freely as I let my emotions get the better of me.  I slammed my hands over my eyes and let my fingers rake in my hair. I bit my lip to stop myself screaming in agony from the pain.

The news came through this morning about what happened two days ago. It still stung like hell as I thought about it.

Robert had ambushed my home with some reapers and killed my mother. Her body had been stabbed numerous times in the chest. They didn’t say where her body was taken. I don’t think I had the strength to visit her. I felt so sick over the last few hours just thinking about it.

I stood up from the door and clicked the lock on the door so it was locked. I threw my bag at the corner of my room and lay on my bed. I covered my eyes with my left arm hoping to stop the tears but they didn’t.

*

I didn’t go downstairs that night. I stayed in my room until it was dawn. My clock read 5am and I slowly got up. The training I did, I had to be up early every day and was used to it by now.

I changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I put my hair up into a long ponytail. I picked up my converse before leaving my room. I didn’t think father or Alex would be awake which allowed me to be at peace.

I opened the door to the living room and saw Alex lying on the sofa with his arm across his eyes. He looked like he was sleeping but I wasn’t too sure. His chest was rising and falling slowly. I wanted to touch him and talk to him but I couldn’t.

I was still angry with him.

His emotions were taken and I hadn’t spoken to him since.

I shook my head and placed my converses on the floor next to the door. I walked past the sofa to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water. I took a quick sip then placed it back in the fridge. I was being quiet as I could so I didn’t wake him up and it was working.

I sat on the stairs on slipped my feet into my converse. I heard movement to my left and looked up to see Alex stood in the doorway watching me.

“Where are you going Jess?” his voice sounded sleepy.