Chapter 21

*Alex POV*

The guilt was eating me on the inside for lying to Jess. I should have told her the truth about where my bruises came from. I’m sure she saw the scars on my back when I had my back facing her yet she said nothing. I didn’t want to think why she wouldn’t ask me. Maybe sleeping with her had distracted her and that made my guilt rise.

I threw my jacket on the floor and sat on the edge of the bed. I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. I had hit one of my bruises on my cheek and flinched at the pain. Staying in my room was becoming torture for me so I had to leave. I slowly sat up and approached my door. I opened it too quickly and saw one of the commanders stood there.

“Commander Chris wanted to see you Alex” his voice sounded like a robot.

I nodded in response and followed behind him. I kept my face blank as I followed him. I didn’t want to show a sign of emotions when I saw Chris. He would up my training. 

Finally walked into the room and saw Chris stood facing a chair in the middle of the room. He turned as he heard me enter the room. He nodded to the other commander who then left the room.

“I think it’s time to advance your training Alex, I don’t think we are getting anywhere with your emotions brewing inside you” he motioned for me to walk towards him. “I remember when I saw your father train here; he lost his emotions within the first day and was the strongest rogue who trained here.”

I took a seat on the chair and felt my wrists strapped down. Deep down I was scared of what will happen, what I will become. I didn’t want to become like father but I was already going down that road.

“Deep breaths Alex, this will be over very quickly.”

My eyes widen as a syringe connected to my neck. The liquid injected into my neck and my bloodstream. There was no pain, just nothing as it moved around my blood. The emotions inside me started to sizzle and fade into nothing. All the feelings I had for Jess felt like they were being drained from my body. It felt like it was all a dream, just a dream.

The straps loosened on my wrists and I sat up slowly. I rubbed were they held my wrists. Chris stood watching me, waiting for my reaction.

“How do you feel Alex? Better? Or like a weight has been lifted of your shoulders?”

“Like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders” I eyed his face and saw my face in his blue eyes. My eyes looked blank. “What next?”

Chris smiled at my question. He knew I was ready for the next stage of my training and I was. Now my emotions were out of the way I could finally finish my training.

*

*Jess POV*

I grabbed my book and threw it at the tree with so much strength it almost scared me, almost. I grabbed another one and threw it at the same spot. I was about to grab a third but Dylan stopped me.

“Jess, you need to calm down,” he grabbed my forearm and squeezed it. “You are making a scene by throwing all your work at our tree”

“But…!”

“No, come on.” he pulled my arm and we started walking away.

He kept hold of my arm as we walked along the halls. I knew he was taking me to the training hall where we normally trained physically. No one really went there so it was a good place for us to talk and train. He opened the door and pushed me inside.

“Right,” Dylan let out a breath, “Now let it out”

“How could he do this Dy?! How could he do this to me, to us?!” I yelled. I threw my other book and the wall behind me.

“He probably had a reason behind it Jess” Dylan said softly.

“Why couldn’t he tell me? Am I that hard to talk to?” my voice sounded drained. I slumped my shoulders.

“He knew his emotions were going to be taken from him and he couldn’t stop it. Maybe Alex didn’t tell you because he knew how you were going to react and he didn’t want to hurt you”

“Maybe you’re right, but this doesn’t stop me from feeling betrayed” I took a seat on the floor and fell back so my back hit the wooden floor.

“It’s right for you to feel like this, time should heal this”

I leaned up on my elbows and saw Dylan watching me carefully. His hair was tousled as it looked out of place.

“When did you become so wise Dy?”

“Since my best friend decided to throw her books around”

I let out a loud sigh and leaned back against the floor. I heard Dylan walk around picking up my book and placing it and the side. He then sat next to me and lay down so out shoulders were touching.

“Feel better?”

I shook my head.

“Come on, I have an idea”

I watched Dylan stand up then followed him out of the room. We were walking towards the staff room where all the instructors were. I watched Dylan knock on the door and stand next to me.

“Ask if you can take a break from training for a few days,” Dylan winked at me. “They should let you”

The door opened after Dylan finished talking. Hunter stepped outside and leaned against the doorframe. His green eyes watched us both. He then raised an eyebrow.

“If it isn’t my favourite students, what’s up?” he spoke casually.

Dylan looked at me waiting for me to speak. I was going to kill him after this. I think I found my new target for knife throwing.

“I was wondering if I could take a break from training for a few days.” I asked quietly.

“And what is the reason for this break?”

“I feel like I am ahead with my training and needed a break so I don’t overstress myself.”

Hunter nodded and leaned back into the room. He motioned for Alice to come over and she did. She smiled at us as she stood next to him. Hunter explained to her what I had requested and she nodded.

“I don’t see why not, you are well ahead of your training so I can give you three days. Where were you thinking of going to?”

“I was thinking to go to the assassin training grounds to see my friend for a bit”

“That should be fine Jessica, you can leave tonight after seven.”

“Thank you both”

They both smiled ad me before walking back inside. I smiled at Dylan and gave him a side hug. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked down the hall. Dylan was tall so he could easily rest his arm on my shoulders.

I started to pack an overnight bag in my room. Dylan gave me a small hug before leaving. He said I would see him next week which was true. A black car was waiting to take me to the assassin training grounds. I couldn’t wait to see Lexy again. I had missed her.

*

I was stood outside Lexy’s room. It was midnight and I figured she would be asleep but Lexy was a night owl so surely she wouldn’t be. I raised my hand and knocked on the door softly. I heard voices on the inside and movement.

The door opened and Lexy stood there in her bra and shorts. She blinked at me a few times before her mouth dropped open.

“Jess?! Oh my god! Come in!”

I was pulled inside and the light was switched on. She made me sit on a bed and grabbed my bag and put it on the other bed. Her golden hair was messy like she had woken up but her makeup was perfect.

“Did I wake you?”

“No hun, I was already awake” she blushed at her words. “Dan! You can come out,” she shouted.

I frowned at her and saw a man walk out of the bathroom. He was only wearing his boxers. He looked older then Lexy, probably mid-twenties. His eyes were a dark blue and his hair was ebony black and looked tousled. I looked between her and him. I did it a few times with my mouth hanging open.

“You’re fucking your instructor?!” I shouted.

The man named Dan started to laugh at me. He left the bathroom and sat on the bed where my bag was. He picked it up and gently put it on the floor. He rubbed his eyes.

“Maybe we could talk more in the morning hun” Lexy smiled at me. “I didn’t know you were coming and he has a lesson to teach tomorrow.”

“It was nice of you to think about my lesson tomorrow rather than me, love.” Dan chuckled as he climbed into the bed.

Lexy smiled at me before joining him in his bed. I could hear her whispering to him quietly. I could make out her saying she loves him more than me.

I quickly stripped into my night clothes and climbed into the other bed. Sleep came rather quickly which I was happy for.

*

I was woken up by Lexy shaking me awake. She had changed into her normal gear which was black shorts and a crop top. She wanted me to meet her other ‘best’ friend here.  He was actually really nice and sweet. I spent most of the day talking to Lexy about my training and what had happened with Alex.

One of the best things about Lexy is she always listens. She never speaks when I was telling her my problems. She listened and waited until I finished. She squeezed my shoulder as I felt the tears run down my cheeks.

“Oh hun, I’m sorry.” she squeezed me as she gave me a hug.

“I don’t want to talk about it, I want to talk about how you got hooked up with that hunk” I bumped her shoulder with mine.

“He’s my instructor and we got close” she shrugged her shoulders. “I made the first move and now we are here.”

“That is the lamest story I have ever heard. Do I not get the details?”

“Believe me hun, you don’t want to hear them,”

I let out a laugh. Maybe she was right that I shouldn’t want to hear them. Knowing Lexy, she would be worse than me.

The rest of the day went quicker. We have moved to another area outside where I was sat on the bench. Lexy was stood up and making me and Nate laugh. It was refreshing to leave the scout training grounds for a bit and just enjoy being a teenager. This is what I wanted to live for.

I was going to be sad to leave this behind but I had no choice. I had to complete my training and become an elite scout for myself and my family. I wanted to be proud for what I would accomplice.