Chapter 16 Part 1

*Jess POV*

I grabbed my bow and attached it to my back, the quiver for my bows was attached to my right thigh. I turned to see Sam holding two light swords. She grinned at me as I turned to her. We walked outside to the training grounds. It was like a small field but trees were at the back.

We met up with Darren and Dylan who waved us over. Dylan had daggers in his belt and Darren had a long sword.

“Does anyone know what we are doing today?” I asked.

I looked towards Sam who just shrugged her shoulders. She looked over to where the instructors where talking.

I had only met two of the instructors, Hunter and Alice. Alice was my personal instructor who was training me to become a full scout. She was the nicest one I had met so far. She wanted us to take our own pace when training as we had a year.

Hunter was so different, and not a good different. He was so strict with us all. He pushed us every day to enhance our skills. He was strict as well and made sure we all used our times to train and not take a break.

“Students!” I heard Hunter’s voice.

I lifted my head and saw him standing in front of us all. His dirty blonde hair was moving in the wind. His brown eyes were watching each of us and connected with my briefly before moving onto the next student. His hands were rested on his hips.

“Today the training will be a bit different. You will be off exploring the woods behind me, in a group; I want you all to use the skills you already have to survive out there for the next few hours and overnight. You may face enemies out there that we have put there and I expect you to use your survival skills” He took a few steps towards us. “Take your positions in your groups”

I felt my body move towards the entrance. It was like I was being pulled and I was. Dylan had his arm around my shoulders and he was grinning. I stood next to Dylan and Sam. Darren was on the other side of Dylan.

“On my word you will all start, the smartest will know what to do first”

I prepared to move with the others. I didn’t know what I would face in these woods. I took a look around the entrance. There were rogue guards with swords waiting. If they were there, what is inside? There were electric metal wires at the entrance and ran along the field.

“Begin!” Hunter yelled.

I didn’t even wait. I ran ahead with the others behind me. Dylan was just as fast as me and ran by my side. The path we rang along started to fade in front of us and we were now in middle of the woods. I took a look around and saw nothing but trees. Sam and Darren caught up to us and stopped as well.

“We lost the path” I said quietly. “It was right there”

“I think we should find somewhere safe to spend the night” Dylan stated as he took a step forward. “Best plan right?”

“It’s the only one we have, let’s go” Sam nodded.

We managed to find a place on some rocks above the ground. We were high up so we could see anything coming from a mile away. I rested my bow on the rock next to me with my quiver. I watched Dylan kneel in front of us al and looked around for anything. Sam lay back against the rocks with her daggers on her chest. Darren was stood up behind Sam and was looking around.

“What are you both looking for, there is nothing around” Sam said with a bored tone.

Just as the word left her lips, a loud roar came from the distance. I looked up and towards where the sound came from and saw nothing.