Chapter 16 Part 2

*Jess POV*

I felt myself being nudged and a quiet voice near my ear. I groaned and buried my face in the floor.

“Jess, wake up” I could make out Dylan’s voice.

I blinked away sleep and slowly sat up. Dylan was kneeled next to me. His eyes showed tiredness. It looked like he hadn’t slept all night.

“What’s happened?” I asked as I was rubbing my eyes to rid of my sleep.

“Nothing, it’s time to head back to the entrance. This training is over”

I nodded and he stood up and went to wake Sam. My back ached from laying on a rock hard surface all night. I stood up and did a stretch.

I walked ahead with Dylan while Darren was carrying Sam. She was still angry about what happened yesterday and wouldn’t talk to me. I didn’t know what else to do with her. I did what I had to do at the time.

I saw the path in front of us again and we followed it. I felt the sun burn my eyes as we walked through the entrance. I blinked away the light and looked around. The instructors were waiting for us. Other students were sat in groups looked scared from what happened.

A few rogues approached us and took Sam away to take care of her injuries. I followed Dylan to a spot where we sat down and waited.

My muscles ached from lying on that rock all night. I couldn’t wait to feel my own bed tonight. I decided to lay back and let my back rest against Dylan’s side. I felt his head turn and a small laugh release from his lips.

“I’m tired” I mumbled.

“You’ve just slept for eight hours, I haven’t even slept”

“I slept on a rock for eight hours, I didn’t sleep well Dy”

“Poor little Jess, what are we gonna do” he taunted.

I lifted my head and glared at him as he watched me with amusement. I was too exhausted to do anything so I just leaned back against his back.

We were sat waiting for an hour just waiting for the instructors to instruct us on our next move. I moved my head to see Alice talking to Hunter at the centre. He didn’t look pleased as each group passed through the centre. In almost every group, at least one student was wounded and it wasn’t just a light wound. Their limb was bloody or had been broken.

Hunter stepped in the centre and turned to us all. He didn’t look pleased as the last group came through the entrance.

“It’s disgusting seeing all of you limp through the entrance from your training” he crossed his arms across his chest. “Not even 75% of you passed this training and it is disgusting!” his voice sent shivers through my body. “Do you all think you will go through your life without killing a single reaper?! Well let me tell you, you won’t. Killing reapers is in our blood and you all know that is what you have to do”

Hunter continued to yell at us all for our training. It sounded like nobody did well until he finished his yelling.

“Those who Alice calls out have succeed in this training and are being advanced for elite training”

That gave me a small ounce of hope that I may have succeeded but only a small ounce. I leaned forward, away from Dylan as I sat forward.

I watched as Alice stepped forward. Her hands were on her hips as she stood next to Hunter. She was smaller than him but showed strength in her stance.

“Once I read out your names, please step forward and stand next to either me or Hunter” she said softly. All of us didn’t say a word and let her continue. “Dylan Johnson”

Dylan winked at me and stood up. I smiled as he walked towards them and stood next to Hunter. One by one, Alice read out names and students stood up. After a few minutes there were nine stood next to them. I secretly prayed that I would be called out but I didn’t think that would happen now.

“Jessica King”

I felt Darren pat my back as I stood up and walked towards the others. Dylan wrapped his arms around my shoulders as I stood next to him. He grinned at me. I was actually stunned from words and couldn’t say anything.

Alice spoke to us and we followed her away from the others. I could hear Hunter talking to the other students about not to be so disheartened by their choice.

I felt Dylan’s arm around my shoulders as we walked. Part of me was happy that he was here, he was the only real friend I had here. I wrapped my arm around his back and smiled at him. We left the fields and went into a room which looked like a classroom, I took a seat next to Dylan whereas everyone else sat elsewhere.

“Congratulations everyone, it was an easy choice to pick you all for the elite training” Alice said as she sat on her desk at the front. “When you were training yesterday, we were watching how you acted in your groups and what you did. Many of you have different skills that made you stand out”

I watched as she stood up and started to walk around out desks and talk about what we will be doing. She explained that our training will be focused on our knowledge of the reapers and their weaknesses. She also explained we will be trained to expand our skills in fighting. She also mentioned that we could leave the training grounds to scout the real world after six months of training so we can feel what we will be doing.

“Hopefully at the end of your training, you will be known as elite scouts so please ensure you pass this. The training does last for one year starting from today” she walked back to her desk. “Take the rest of the day to prepare and arrive here by nine o’clock tomorrow, dismissed” she waved her hand and we all left.

I walked down the hall with Dylan and we walked into the canteen. It was quiet as no one was here. I stood in the centre and cheered so loudly. Dylan let out a laugh and joined in as we started to celebrate.

If my family could see me now, they would be so pleased with my progress. I hope Lexy and Alex were doing fine. Bring on six months of training until I see someone again.

*

Next update 20.04.18