Chapter 1

Edited

*Jess POV*

I held the dagger so tight in my hand. It felt like the dagger was going to break. I moved my feet so I took a stance. I threw the dagger in the air and grabbed the blade. I stepped forward and threw the dagger. I watched as it hit the target head on. The blade had hit the centre. A smile rose on my lips.

"Nicely done Jess"

My best friend Lexy slapped me on the shoulder. Her hand squeezed my shoulder. I smiled at her. Her golden eyes brightened as she smiled back. Her blonde hair was tied back in a high ponytail.

"Thanks Lexy" I smiled.

"I think you should throw your daggers with more strength next time"

"Huh?" I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

"Like this" She grabbed another dagger that was in her belt and threw the dagger with so much force I didn't believe was possible. The dagger banged against mine as it hit the centre. "The more force, the better" She smiled.

"Yes madam" I saluted her.

She let out a laugh as she retrieved both daggers. I watched as she played with one in her hand. Her golden yellow eyes focused on the blade as she balanced it on her tanned fingertips.

"Fancy taking a break?" I asked.

"Thought you would never ask" she threw both the daggers at the target and walked towards me.
We both walked out of the training room and towards the canteen. I listened to Lexy talk about her parents planning another trip to Spain soon.

Lexy was half Spanish so she always went to Spain when she could. She liked to go alone I know but she goes with her parents at times. I know she returns often so she can see her older brother Benjamin. More like talk to him. Its a subject Lexy doesn't like to touch.

Benjamin was killed ten years ago by a common enemy we face. Reapers. They are creatures of darkness that are beyond evil. They loved killing anything they could find. Us. Humans. Anything. Just plain anything they found. Benjamin was unlucky. Wrong place at the wrong time.

His body was found at the side of a lake. Stab wounds all over his body. I felt for Lexy and her family. Having someone killed like that must be horrible. I did speak to him on some occasions. He was someone you could talk to and now he was gone.

I was a Rogue. I spent years of my life training to fight. Mainly fighting them. I knew everything about reapers. Their weaknesses, strengths, forms they posses. Just everything. I have never see one in person or had to kill one. I think I'm just lucky but my father doesn't think so. He just wants me to kill one.

My father was a Commander of the rogues. His duties included pushing the reapers back. Keeping them away form our safe havens. These could include normal towns or cities. A few safe havens were among the humans which we call the human realm.

I opened the door and saw it was a bit busy. Lexy said about getting a table why she got a drink for us. I spotted a spare table of four in the centre so I quickly walked towards it and took a seat.

Part of me felt scared for fighting a reaper. I mean they are scary. All of them are. I tapped my fingertips on the table as my thoughts flowed. My father just put it down to lack of experience. I wanted to tell him I was so scared of killing them. My mother understood but not my father.

I jumped as Lexy placed a can of coke in front of me. She sat down opposite me. She laughed at my scared expression.

"You're jumpy" she laughed.

"I was distracted" I let out a sigh.

"Hmm" She hummed. "About?" She opened her can of Fanta and took a long sip.

"Life" I muttered.

"Why?" a deep voice said from behind me. I turned in my seat and saw my brother, Alex, leaning on the chair with his hands. His hazelnut eyes started to pale as he watched me.

"I have a lot on my plate" I whispered.

His hand pressed on my shoulder and he sat next to me. I felt my cheeks warm at his touch. I darted my eyes away from his stare.

Yes I am in love with my brother! I'm being so obvious. *mentally cries*

"She's worried about the arena, we both are" Lexy said as she squeezed her can.

"You'll be fine" Alex smiled at me showing his white teeth.

Why is he so attractive?! Ugh!

"Ugh" I rested my chin on my hand. Alex squeezed my shoulder.

"Am I interrupting a family reunion of something" a high pitched voice said.

Megan sat next to Lexy. Her blonde hair was straight and she had a full face of make up on. I saw Lexy glare at her as she looked at us. Lexy had hold of her can and was squeezing it harder.

"No it's fine Megs" Alex said. He dropped his hand from my shoulder. The warmth leaving seconds later. "We should get back"

Alex stood up and pushed the chair away. Megan copied him and stood away from us as they both looked ready to leave. Alex stood on the other side of me and leaned down towards my ear.

"Don't forget the party tonight" he whispered.

I nodded in response. He smiled then stood up. I watched as he left the canteen. I saw Megan wrap her hand around his arm. She smiled as they started talking. I kept on watching until Alex turned his head to look at me. I turned my head to look at Lexy so fast.

"You're blushing hun" she smiled.

"I'm not" I muttered.

"Hmm whatever you say" she smirked at me.

I turned my head and saw the doors close behind Alex and Megan. I let out a sigh as I turned towards Lexy. She started to talk about the party tonight.

I didn't get the aura that Alex liked Megan the way she liked him. More like love. She had a crush you could say.

They were together a lot as they trained together. I always felt jealous about it. I only trained with Alex on rare occasions.

Who am I kidding, he'll never love me like I love him. It'll never happen.

I should just look forward to tonight. The party will be fun.