Chapter 14

When I come to, I'm in a confined space, my head is unbelievably sore. There's soft music playing as well, the throbbing of my head causes me to groan. I try to open my eyes but only one opens, the other is swollen shut, wanting to feel my eye I lift my hand to my face, only to find that my hands are tied together and my mouth taped closed too. I look around the dimly lit space and realise I'm in the trunk of a moving car.

I try to turn on my side and see the very dim light from the break lights shining into the space. I look around to see if I can use something to help me get free, all I see is an umbrella and a emergency medical kit. I rip the tape off my mouth and bite my tongue to not make a noise. Now I can breathe better, I reach for the kit but need to use my foot to pull it towards me. As I do this I feel the burning sensation in my back, probably from the crash.

I grab it and squint with my eye to find the zip, I spot it and pull it open. I find a few plasters, bandages, alcohol wipes and finally a small scissor with some medicine. I pick up the small scissor to try and cut my hands free but I can't easily get them free. I have to twist my wrists to the point where my poor hands feel like the bones will snap. But I grit my teeth and continue.

I use my thumb and pinky to cut the stubborn tape. After a couple of tries I get the tape off and see my wrists rubbed raw from my efforts. Next I grab the medicine tube and push some out onto my finger. I graze my eye and I wince, I try again and bite down harder onto my teeth as my eye feels like it is being scratched out.

We've been on a straight road for a long time and we still going straight. My head throbs more after my effort of freeing my hands. I hold my head and feel that the side of my head is soaked in what I assume is blood, my hair is matted from the combination of sand and blood.

I look at where the vague lights are coming from, I think back to the movies where people are kidnapped and put into the trunks of cars. One idea that stuck with me was when they would kick out the break lights to flag down other drivers, would that work with this car? I inch closer and inspect it, it seems as though there's a thick piece of dark plastic separating the trunk from the light itself.

Would it make a lot of noise? Will he hear it? Will I be able to kick it hard enough in this state?

I ponder over my questions and think about other options. There were a few other movies/series that on the inside of the trunk there was a lever to open it from the inside. I turn my attention to the top of the trunk, I can't see very well with one eye.

I run my hands over the top to feel for anything that'll help me. As I feel the wires and rods, the car turns sharply to the right, my head hits the side of the trunk causing even more pain. I bite my lip to stay quiet and make it seem like I'm still out cold. We carry going straight and speed up, I need to find a way to get help before we stop.

I pull on the rod I find, hoping it'll pop the trunk but I don't have that luck, so I'm back to the first option. Cars have tools in them don't they? For when they break down, you lift up the bottom to find the spare wheel and spanner. Maybe I'll find a weapon or something to help me escape, I move to the front of the trunk. While doing so, my body burns and hurts from everything that's happened.

I am pressed against the front with my back, I find the edge of the carpet thing and pull it up but I can't open it totally because there's not enough space. I squint in the almost dark cavity and see a small tool box. My heart races and my hopes rise too, I reach for it and pull it closer to me. I flip the lid open and find an assortment of screwdrivers and a basic little hammer. I grab the hammer and look for a long star screwdriver, I find a medium length one but just in case I take 3 in total.

I close the toolbox and slip it back into the cavity. I shut the top and move back to the middle of the trunk and turn back onto my side, I put the 2 extra screwdrivers behind my back and grab the hammer. I get closer to the break light and hold the screwdriver with the arm I'm lying on, my right, and hold the hammer with my weaker arm but I'll have to use this arm.

I place the screwdriver at the very top of the light, I take a deep breath and grip the hammer tight. I bring my arm just past my ear, then I slam it back over to hit the screwdriver. Except my aim is off and I hit a little left of the target, missing it and hitting the plastic with a blunt force. After this a small crack appears from my hit, but it's such a small crack that I wonder if it will be worth the effort.

I decide I need to try, I can't give up. I move the screwdriver to the crack and bring the hammer down again. This time I hit the screwdriver and it pushes through the thick plastic and hits the light. My adrenaline spikes and my heart begins to pump faster because I'm one step closer to getting help. I put the hammer down and pull down with the screwdriver until I hear the satisfying crack as the plastic gives way.

I drop the screwdriver and begin to pull the plastic down to crack and break it even more with my hands. The crunches give me more hope, most of the plastic is now gone. There's a hole the size of a small melon, smaller than my head though, I reach through and feel the heat of the light. I give it a big nudge and feel the slightest of movements, I do it again and again as I feel more and more movement.

After a lot of pushes I give one final push and the light pops out. I push my hand out and press the light against the car so it doesn't fall and make a noise. I gasp out in surprise and look outside, there's a few cars driving behind us in the distance. The light is dangling by the wires, so I pull the light back inside and place it above my head. It lights up more inside the trunk with a red tint.

It's getting dark. How long was I out for? A few hours I guess, but then my stomach sinks at the thought that I'm not in my town anymore. I look out and see we are passing a small red car with a lady driving. We move in front of her and I stick my arm out but not in the direction that he would see.

I peek under my arm to see her reaction, I wave my arm but I think it looks like a wriggling limb. She catches the movement, her brows furrow and she slows down. I think. 'Yes! She's gonna get help.' But instead she exits the highway. My heart drops and tears swell up in my eyes, a shriek escapes from me and I feel as though my fate is sealed, I'm a goner.

I look outside and there are no cars in close proximity, my hopes of getting rescued are being pushed futher and further away from me. I pull my arm back inside and close my eyes, letting myself be lulled by the movements of the coffin I'm in.

While I am dreaming of a way to escape this situation, the car suddenly accelerates violently. I hold onto the metal rods above me while we make a sharp turn. I hold on with all my strength, as I get flung around like sack of potatoes, I turn my head to look out the hole and I see that a unknown car to me is speeding after us. I stick my arm out again and the car acknowledges me by flicking its brights, a little bit of hope filled with some suspicion grabs hold of me. I don't know what more terrifying, the fact I am doomed with my father or the fact I will come face to face with my stalker.

The car swerves violently in and out of slower cars, my heart starts beating wildly and the fear of crashing into something is very strong. The car behind us is gaining on the distance and I see the bright lights following our every move in the darkness that has finally descended on us.

How will this end? Will we crash and die instantly? Or will the car be set alight meaning I die a slow and painful death? I don't know how this is going to end.

The honks from the other cars we pass let me know that we are indeed driving at a preposterous speed and recklessly too, I hold my breath until I have to remind myself that I have to breathe and keep breathing.

The car behind us gains distance, fear does not begin to describe the feeling I am feeling as I see the car behind us get so close that I'm blinded by the lights. I shut my eyes just as I feel a nudge, the car suddenly swerves and I feel the tyres lose grip and I say a silent prayer expecting this to be my last moments on earth.

The car starts turning round and around, we hit the gravel on the side of the road and that's when the car slips completely off the road. We go off the embankment and that's when everything goes a bit blurry.

I was spinning and screaming as the car was rolling. The car stopped. My pain did not, it got worse. The trunk was pried open. A figure stood over me. A few words were said. I was picked up. The pain was unbearable and I sank into darkness.