Chapter 4: The Second Phase

I'm sorry for the shitty drawing, guys. But I tried to give you the picture as fast as i could.

Anyways, here you go.

-----------------------------------

It's been about an hour since Ruby met her mother and she was still on her bed with her eyes closed. She sat there so motionless that you'd think she's dead. As she lied on her bed she tried to prevent tears from falling but she failed. She felt a few tears prickling her cheeks as she took deep breaths. She felt so mad at herself. She should not cry for a woman like Eva.

When her breathing finally went back to normal she opened her eyes and sat on her bed and that's when she realized that there were small patches of grey color in her hands. She rapidly got up and walked to the mirror and that's when she saw it. A part of her face was grey instead of her normal skin tone and one of her eyes had gone completely black. She looked at the mirror and concentrated. Slowly her skin turned back to normal and her eye as well.

She turned around and saw her bag on the ground. She held her hand out and used her powers to pick it up but this time something different happened. A blaze of silver came out as she used her powers. She frowned and went back on her bed to think. Isn't that what happens with Wanda Maximoff? Doesn't a red glow always come from her hands too?

First, Ruby thought about going to Tony to ask him, but she was still angry as hell at him for the worst bombshell ever. So she thought Vision would be the best options because he knew Wanda more than anyone else.

Ruby slowly got up from her bed and walked to the door. She opened it and peaked outside. She looked both ways and when she made sure no one was there, she made her way out. She walked the halls cautiously, trying not to pass Tony on the way and luckily for her, Tony was in his labs at the moment. At the end she finally found Vision's room and knocked before entering.  Vision was standing alongside of his bed with a traveling bag on it. The bag had some cloths and other supplies.

"Vision?" Ruby said and looked at his bag. "You going somewhere?"

"Actual yes" Vision replied as he went back to his closet to get his things. "Do you want something?"

"Yeah. I have a few questions." Ruby said and sat on one of the chairs in the room.

"Questions? What kind of questions?"Vision asked and turned to face her.

"Well....it's my powers. Something happened earlier today and now I think it affected my powers" Ruby said.

"What happened?" Vision asked and folded his arms together. 

"Long story short, I got really angry and my skin turned grey then my eyes turned black." Ruby explained. "But what's stranger is that this happens when I use my powers"

Ruby waved her hands and a glow of sliver came out then Vision's bag fell up in the air. When she let go of the bag the sliver vanished.

"What is that?" Ruby asked.

"Hmm...Well maybe it's the second phase of your powers?" Vision said.

"But doesn't this happen to Wanda too?" Ruby asked. " A red glow. Right?"

"Yes, but I do not fully understand Wanda's powers to explain what the red glow is." Vision said. "But maybe it's because your powers are developing."

"Uh...maybe" Ruby said as she opened and closed her hands.

Just then a screen lit up in the room and writing appeared.

'Ms. Stark?' the writing wrote.

Ruby folded her arms and walked to the screen. "No, Ruby is fine. But what's up F.r.i.d.a.y.?"

'Mr. Stark requests you to his labs, Ruby.' F.r.i.d.a.y. wrote

Ruby felt her blood boiling as she read the writing.

"Tell him to fuck off!" She yelled at the screen as Vision watched awkwardly.

'He says that it's very important' F.r.i.d.a.y. wrote

Ruby looked at the screen and sighed. Vision walked closer to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.  

"I'm guessing Tony is the reason you got mad earlier..." Vision said

"No shit, Sherlock" Ruby said harshly

"Give him time. I know him seems like a jerk, but whatever he did he did it because he cares." Vision said

She looked at him for a minute then rolled her eyes. "Alrightttttt, I'll go see what he wants."

She huffed a bit then walked out of Vision's room after saying goodbye. As she walked to Tony's labs she played with her new abilities. She pointed her hands on the ground and flouted a little as a sliver blaze danced around her. When she finally reached Tony's labs she immediately stopped her powers and sliver disappeared then red blood slid down her nose. She rolled her eyes to herself and wiped the blood.

When she was about to open the door, the door opened itself and Tony appeared with a sweaty face.

"Great. You came!" He said excitedly. "Come in. I have something to show you."

"Really? So no apology after the thing that happened an hour ago?" Ruby asked as she got into the lab.

"God...I'm so sorry, kid." Tony said as he pulled her in a chair. "But this thing can and will change your life forever?"

"If it's another mom I swear to god...!" Ruby threatened.

"Don't worry its way better than a mother." Tony said playfully and held 2 earpieces. "I need you to put these in your ears"

"What? Why?" Ruby frowned as he gave her them.

"Just put them on. I just need to run some test and we'll be done." Tony said and walked over to the computer.

"Uhhh... ok?" Ruby said unsurely and inserted the earpiece into her ears. "Now what?"

"Now I'll press this button. You might feel a pinch but that's all" Tony said and pressed the button.

And as he said, Ruby felt a pinch in the inside of her ears. When that was over he told her to take the earpieces out. Then Tony walked to another table. The table opened and out came a pair of weird looking objects. As Tony looked at the object he smiled the biggest smile Ruby had ever seen him. But in her mind the thing on the table was just a random junk.

"There we go" Tony said and picked up the object of the table. "These are designed just for you."

"Yeah. Thanks and all, but I honestly have no idea what that is" Ruby said awkwardly.

"Well then, I'll show you how it works." Tony said. "Can you move your hair out of the way?"

Ruby frowned and moved her hair as Tony adjusted the objects on her ears. When he was finally done he back away slowly and said.

"It's still not on. Ok Rubes please don't freak out." Tony said using a nickname then pressed a button on the sides of both of the objects.

Ruby looked at him with a frown as he took a deep breath. He looked up at her with a soft smile and spoke.

"Ruby . . . I'm so sorry for what happened earlier, and I promise to keep you safe for the rest of my life, or you know maybe just rest of your life."

And for the first time in 6 year Ruby Maria Stark didn't need to lip read to understand what he was saying.

--------------------------------------------

Ruby has hearing aids, Yaaaaay! And i just realized that this story will be much longer than the last one.

So what do you think?

Word Count: 1297

Vote

Share

Comment

Or whatever...