T H I R T Y

THIRD POV

"My god, Diane, that lasagna was fantastic," Owen said, wiping his face happily. 

"Family recipe," Diane said, smiling happily. "It was so great to have you over again, it's been a long time since we've all been together like this."

"Yes, it has," Owen said, smiling softly. "Donovan, walk with me son. I'd like to speak with you."

* * * * *

"Do you know the story of when me and your grandmother met?" he asked, the two walking outside. "I was a transfer student, came straight from Spain. My parents moved around a lot while my father was in the Marines so when we finally settled down, we settled down here. I had no idea about this place and I was barely even seventeen."

Donovan listened, never once stopping to interrupt him.

"I went to a completely different school and I had no friends. I was picked on for being alone and no one bothered to try and talk to me," he continued. "But then your grandmother, she saw my suffering. She saw my tough facade, she saw right through me. I tried to play it off all the time, tried to make it seem like my life wasn't miserable but she knew and she called me out on it. She was my only friend, the only one I could depend on."

Owen was smiling happily telling the story, reminiscing on the memory of his beautiful wife. 

"When we graduated high school we had a falling out. She was much smarter than me and she was going off to college while I stayed home to work and help my parents. I tried to convince her to stay but she wouldn't have it. She promised me she wouldn't fall in love with anyone else but I didn't believe her. I worked and forgot about her, built this enterprise and when she finally came back she was even more beautiful than the first time I met her. She came back, remembering everything about me and she visited me first and I knew...I knew I had to marry her. Even when she came back I tried to play it off, tried to hurt her and tell her I'd been with other girls but she knew I was lying. She saw right through my lies."

It was quiet for a moment as they sat beside each other on a bench, enjoying the night breeze. 

"She put up with so much of my crap I was surprised she said yes when I asked her to marry me," Owen laughed, staring up at the stars. "I've watched you grow up, Donovan. You act the same way I did when I was younger. So head strong, so confined and quiet, hidden behind a tough facade. I watched you and Lina--and even though you two were faking it--I couldn't even tell."

"That's all over now," Donovan said slowly, not truly believing the words himself. 

"She looked at you the same way your grandmother looked at me," his grandfather finished, catching him off guard. "That's why I thought it was so real. After what she told me, I was shocked."

They sat there for a moment, seeping into quietness, and enjoying the calm night. His grandfather took a deep breath beside him.

"Why did you let her go?"

Donovan sat still, thinking about the question over and over again. 

"She wanted to go," he said. "There was no point in trying to stop her. She made her decision."

"Don't you know anything about women?" his grandfather laughed. "Based on her little show she pulled in my office, she didn't want to leave you."

"What the hell are you talking about, old man?"

"She said she loved you," he said. "She didn't tell you?"

"She mentioned something like that the other night," Donovan said, as if just realizing she had confessed her love towards him. "But she still wanted to leave."

"Even after all of that?" he asked, sounding a bit sarcastic. "Listen, before I say anything else, do you like the girl or do you not like her?"

"I don't know."

"Do you want her to come back?"

"I don't know."

"You have some serious thinking to do," his grandfather said, standing up.

"You just barely popped into my life, what makes you think you know what's best for me?"

"That girl is rare. You're goddamn lucky she loves you, that's what I'm trying to tell you," he said. "Don't make this mistake, because I can guarantee you that you will regret it."

With that said, his grandfather walked back inside, leaving Donovan to sit there, lost in his thoughts. He stared up at the night sky, unsure of what to make of the entire situation. What did he feel towards Lina? Did he feel anything for her?

He did. He does. He knows it. Even he cannot deny that. But he's never known what it felt like to feel loved or be in love, how was he suppose to know? Who could he ask?

"What does it matter?" he grumbled to himself. "She wanted to leave. Why stop her?"

Because it isn't what she wants.

It was only a tiny part of his mind that told him that but it wasn't enough to fully convince him. He couldn't go out and act rash. Everything she told him was true. She was only his personal doctor for his fights. However, he knew that wasn't all she was, there was more to her than that. 

"You know, you acted just like your father when we first got together," his mom said, taking a seat beside him.

"Please, mom, I don't want to hear anymore about this," he said quickly. "Why should I stop her? Seriously? She wanted to leave so I let her."

"Listen, women are very...backwards with their words. They sometimes say one thing but actually mean the opposite," Diane explained. "You haven't hung around enough women--which is a good thing I suppose--but she obviously didn't mean it."

"Then why would she tell me that?"

"It was for her own sake. You know, she believes that you don't carry the same feelings as she does so she's pushing you away, classic girl move," she said, chuckling lightly. "I did that with your father and he was so worried, it was quite humorous."

"Then it's better that way," he said quickly. "If it'll make her feel better."

"It won't," she said, standing up. "Come on, come inside. We can talk all night," she said, smiling happily, awaiting for him to stand. He stood up and she looped an arm around his waist, happily smiling. "I'm glad I could finally help you with girl trouble's. I've been waiting for this day for a very long time."

"You seem too happy about this," he pointed out, heading back to the house.

"Donovan, you have to--first--figure out your own feelings. You can't do anything else without figuring that out first."

What he felt for Lina, he had to admit, he'd never felt before but he had no true justification for it. At least, not yet.

Hello guys! I'm so very happy that you all are enjoying this book so much. I love how it is turning out!

You can expect updates every weekend from now on (since I've started school just last week) so please look forward to that!

Also, I hope you're appreciating my recent cliff-hangers, I like to keep you guys on your toes. 

So, until next time! Please vote, comment and follow! I love you all, enjoy this chapter!