- Chapter 27 -

"Jaxy-paxy!" Norah called out to us from the main foyer. "How is it that my only son doesn't have a Christmas tree anywhere in their house, 5 days before Christmas! What kind of example are you trying to set for your pack, for your family, for your mate!"

There was a bit of shuffling, and then the sound of footsteps going up the staircase as Norah's voice got louder the closer she got to us. "This is a disgrace. An absolute disgrace!"

Jaxon and I were still lying in bed, like most other people in the pack house. I laughed softly into Jaxon's chest as he groaned, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

The door burst open seconds later. "Jaxy-paxy, I'm going to get you a Christmas tree if it's the last thing I do. At least I will be known for my Christmas spirit if I die while doing so."

I chuckled again, bringing Norah's attention to me. Her face immediately brightened, the angry scowl that was previously on her face evaporating in an instant.

"Oh hi there, Missy Lissie the Sassy Lassie!" Jaxon snorted when he heard this, which caused Norah's mood to do a complete 180 once again as she glared at him. "If you laugh again, then I will pummel you with the Christmas tree."

I sat up in bed, running my hands through my hair to hopefully get out some of the tangles. I tried to stop myself from over-examining Norah's body language, hoping to get out of the habit of being constantly on edge with everyone. Instead, I gave her a bright smile.

"Good morning, Norah."

She turned back to me, her own bright smile reminding me of Jaxon's. "So, M.L.S.L, you're going to be joining me today in Christmas tree shopping."

"M.L.S.L?" Jaxon said from the bed lowly.

She raised a finger at him, her eyes still on me. "Shush. Missie Lissie the Sassy Lassie, despite how incredible it is, is too long for everyday use."

Jaxon sat up in bed slowly, moving his arms around my shoulders. I smiled as I felt his head resting into the crook of my neck, resisting the urge to close my eyes and lean back into him.

Norah narrowed her eyes before a mischievous smirk of her own lit up her face; once again reminding me of Jaxon's own signature smirk. "Oh, and Jaxy-paxy? You're not allowed to come with us."

Jaxon's head shot up. "What? Mom!"

Norah's smile was devilish. "Yes. It's perfect punishment for you; for not going out to buy a Christmas tree on your own, I'm taking your mate away for the day to do it with me."

Jaxon's face was set in disbelief at his mother's words. "An entire day? Not even just a few hours? How long does it even take to buy a Christmas tree?"

Norah approached the bed, pushing Jaxon away and helping me out. "Well, we could always have a bit of a ladies' day afterwards as well, you know, invite Kasey along to go shopping and such."

I resisted the urge to scrunch my nose at the sound of shopping. Jaxon, however, knew of my aversion to shopping and didn't hold back. He got up, following Norah, who was pulling me out of the room.

"Mom, Lyss doesn't like shopping!" he yelled out to us, a satisfied smile on his face. Norah picked up on of my pairs of jeans, throwing it at me before pausing to give Jaxon the same, satisfied smile.

"Well, then I guess we'll just go to that new rock climbing place on Jackson Street. You're not invited." She winked at him before shutting the door, pulling me out.

I could hear Jaxon's groans of frustration from the other side as she ushered me into one of the bathrooms.

"Here, get changed into this." She handed me a bright Christmas sweater and gave me a soft smile. I tried not to let the drastic change of mood faze me.