9- In my feelings

Skye's POV

"I'll pick you up at 6 then" Mitchel nods dropping me off at work.

"See you then" I smile.

He merely nods in response before driving off and I let out a sigh before heading into the store; the small bell ringing above me as I enter. Ash heard this and turns to me, a large grin on his face now that he had company.

The shop was deserted as expected, I wondered how it even managed to stay open sometimes when the most people we would get is late at night when people started hitting the munchies.

"So she is alive?" He mocks "I suppose I better go call of the search party"

"Shut up" I reply throwing my bag into the back room.

"Can't a best friend be concerned?" He asks.

"Yeah but I was just at home having peace" I say lying through my teeth.

"You know best friends aren't supposed to keep secrets" Ash stares knowingly.

"What are you talking about?" I ask playing cool.

I sit behind the counter as he leans over from the other side, his eyebrows raised and his lips pursed in a knowing fashion.

"You weren't at home" He says "I dropped by last night with takeout thinking I was being a great friend and providing you a lovely treat after your gruelling day of cleaning but alas you weren't even home"

"I was probably in the shower" I shrug.

"Skye" He says firmly.

"Fine I was out but it's none of your business where I was" I say lifting my chin.

"It's every bit my business when I need to make sure your heart doesn't get crushed" He replies.

"My heart is fine Ash but I think your brain is going a bit delirious" I say tapping him on the forehead.

"So were you or were you not with that braid guy?" He asks.

"His name is Mitchel" I state.

"I'll take that as a yes" Ash replies as I roll my eyes "What were you doing?"

"We were just hanging out" I sigh.

"Fuck buddies don't hang out that's the whole point" Ash explains.

"Well he did okay?" I say "His friends were gone so I stayed at his for a few days"

"You stayed at his house?" He replies as if I just said the dumbest thing ever.

"It's no big deal" I wave.

It was every bit a big deal. This was the most interaction I'd ever had with him and I loved every minute, albeit a few moments where he was his usual moody self but other than that I got to see a more playful, easy Mitchel.

"Did anything happen?" He asks "Besides the general fucking of course"

"Ashton!" I exclaim.

"Well it's not a secret is it love?" He replies "I mean did anything romantic happen?"

"We held hands a little last night but that's it" I say looking down and sorting the stuff on the counter.

I was still replaying the moment in my head. It lasted around ten minutes or so but it felt like only a few seconds when I felt the emptiness after he pulled his hand away abruptly saying that we should head back before wasted teenagers would start showing up. I didn't mention it and neither did he, he simply acted like it didn't even happen and maybe it was for the best.