18

PoV: Sonic

  My body ached, I hadn't been drined that ruff in a while. It took my mucles a while to readjust to moving again. I must have died... huh? Scourge was asleep next to me, holding my hand.

"Scourge," I poked his nose, he shifted, "can you let me go? I want to get up now."

"Blue, stay with me," he pulled me back down into the covered, "it's daylight outside."

"Its 2 in the morning," I said pointing out the clock.

"No, that's pm," he tightened his grip on me.

"But I wanna eat my popsicle," I begged.

"Why did you have to be so fricken cute," he let me go, "Be careful the sun doesn't burn you."

"I will," I called.

  I covered my feet with socks, and my hands with gloves. I covered my head with a blue blanket that I slung over my shoulders. I opened the door with caution, adjusting my vision to the bright light. No one was gone, it was 2 in the afternoon.

  I passed by some pictures after grabbing my last popsicle. Shadow, Rouge, and Knuckles had gowns on. My memory remembered events like these as graduations. The words 'Goodbye Emerald High' in the background keyed me in. This photo was from a high school graduation. That ment those three were in the collage place now.

"They all get to live lives. I've always been in hiding... I wonder what that's like," I sighed and put the picture back.

"I can help you with that," I turned around to find no one behind me.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked.

"You wish to be a day-walker. A rumored vampire who can survive on the light."

"That's only a myth. Even so, she died eons ago. The only day-walker to exist,  Alena is simply a vampire's fairy tail," I sighed.

"Is that so?" A cloak appeared in front of me. Red velvet and a gold clip, "Do you know what I am?"

"A high class vampire," I growled, "What are you after?"

"Your safety, in a way," she said, "You're are such a rare beauty," she reached a hand out and I backed away, "so afraid, so careful. You're soul is more than mortal."

"Get away from me!" I jumped back and she grabbed me, "Let go! SCOURGE! MEPHALIS!"

"They couldn't save if you were in danger. You're in the sun," I stopped moving, I didn't want to die again. Death was so painful, "shh~ sh-sh-shhh~"

"Let me go..." I tried  slowing my breathing as she pulled me into her cloak.

"Not yet. Do you see this?" She held up a red jewel that glistened in the sun, "wear it when you wish to go into the sun."

"What is it?" I reached out to touch it.

"Alena's jewel. It lets Vampires walk in the sun," the jewel was attached to a black choaker,  "Do not let your fangs be seen."

"Why are you giving this to me?" I asked as she clipped it onto my neck.

"Because I love my children..." she disappeared.

"Her children? Maybe she made the vampire who made me? I guess that would make her my grandma," I said seeing the sunlight in front of me.

My popsicle was melted on the floor. I cleaned it up and stood in front of the window. I opened the blinds, almost direct sunlight beyond them. I removed one glove.

"Here goes nothing," I held my breath and pushed my hand into the light.

  Heat, I felt heat. It wasn't burning me... it felt like a bath... but dry. I opened one eye and looked at my hand... it was completely unharmed. I pulled the blanket off my head and let I rest on my shoulders and back. Then stepped out into the sun... it felt amazing.

  I pulled off my other glove and slowly opened the window. Direct sunlight wasn't hurting me in any way.

"The sun... You're just as magnificent as the moon."

PoV: Shadow

  I got home with Rouge early. She checked on Sonic, but quickly ran back up the basements steps in a panic. She ran upstairs and back down saying Sonic wasn't anywhere.

"What's he kidnapped again?" I asked looking around to find the back door open.

"I'm here," it was Sonic's voice as he peek out from the bathroom.

"Oh thank chaos, you scared me," Rouge hugged him, "you're okay right? Nothing hurt you?"

"Mhmm," he shook his head, "I'm fine."

"Why aren't you covered up? The sun might hurt you," Rouge asked.

"Hmhmhm! No it won't," Sonic giggled.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"It's a surprise," he giggled and skipped around the shade of the house, "I can live my life like you guys now."

"Sonic!" I grabbed his hand as he jumped into the sunlight.

"... Y-you tried saving me..." the smile on his face was replace with a rosy blush, and slight surprise in his eyes.

"You aren't burning?" I looked as him, he looked natural in the light.

  I looked at Rouge who was silent with shock. Sonic's appearance... it was like he had changed. The way the sun glistened off his quills, and his emerald eyes sparkling. He was... extraordinary.

"Sonic, c-could you always do this?" Rouge asked, finally collecting herself.

"No, it's only now because I got a gift," he answered.

"A gift?" Rouge repeated.

"You've never worn that necklace before," I touch the red gem and his face went red, "it looks like it's just a ruby."

"I-Its Alena's jewel," he blushed, was he embarrassed?

"Alena?" I repeated.

"Is that another vampire?" Rouge questioned.

"Was. Alena, she was the only Day-walker vampire to ever exist. Supossedilye she fell in love with the sun and longed for its touch. So she worked to be a sorceress, creating a jewel to let her walk in the sun," he started the story, "when word got out of a vampire walking in the sun, she was attacked by both mortals and vampires.

"She went into hiding, sealing away the jewel. Not long after, she was found and killed. A stake to the heart ended her life. The jewel has been found and lost over the last decades. Whether it's real of fake has always been the debate. Other vampires died to the sun's rays while wearing it. So... I wonder why it works for me?"

"Maybe it likes cuties like you," Rouge ruffled his quills, "but you should get some rest, you've got bags under your eyes."

"Okay~" he yawned.

  Rouge walked him downstairs, she came back up and we both had one thing on our minds. Sonic's new ability.

  He said other vampires can't use it... why can he?

~~~

  I'm tired, the sun really takes energy out of you.

But it's cold and I wanna be bundled up now... but if I curl up I'll wake up dying in heat. Damn camping dilemmas.

  I really like this chapter, but I need to roast marshmallows now.

  Bye bye ~ 😙