EPILOGUE

enouement
(n.)
the bitter-sweetness of arriving at the future, seeing how things turned out, but not being able to tell your past self.

•••

"i think i'm too afraid to be happy, because when i get too happy, something bad always happens."

•••

Three weeks had spanned since the incident in Budapest and instead of an execution chair or a prison cell, she found herself sitting on a lawn chair in the grassy backyard of Clint's property. When he had told her he had a farm, he hadn't told her that he had the remains of an old plantation farm that he was fixing up. She had her legs propped up on a five gallon bucket and she sipped on a bottle of water. A speaker played a quaint country tune and it wasn't too loud or too quiet.

Next to her, sat the beautiful Laura Barton in lawn chair of her own. The two of them had just finished hand planting and entire row of corn. On Natasha's chest laid a sleeping baby boy.  Cooper was his name.

They had their chairs facing the house where Clint was on the roof putting in new shingles.

Natasha couldn't help but smile as she looked around. Then she remembered her darkest time. She remembered the bathroom in the gas station. She remembered the pistol barrel embedded in her temple. If only she would have known where she would be.

She was so thankful she had the courage to pull the gun away from her head. She had an overwhelming sense of enouement. The smell of fresh cut grass and wet dirt filled her senses. The happy music and the coos of a little baby.

The inviting chatter of husband and wife and being included in a plot to create a beautiful garden rather than the downfall of a country. It felt good.

But even now she knew she could never have this. She could run from her past. It will always be with her. She could never mother children. And she didn't think she could ever trust someone the way she did James ever again. But being a loner didn't seem too bad.

Not if she had a little family to back her up. And even then, she saw that Nick Fury was shaping up to be something of a... not a friend... but something. Fury was someone Natasha could relate to. A great new mentor, perhaps.

But only time could truly tell.

Stay tuned for post credit scenes