Chapter Twenty Eight

Cassie's POV

I was furious. I trusted Allie. Now she helps my boyfriend's ex kidnap his daughter. No. This was over. Allie was not going to mess up my family. Everything was perfect.

I hate airplanes. Wade knows that. He held me the entire time.

The plane landed. We were in New York.

.............

Wade's POV

We were here. That was the longest plane ride ever. I knew where Mr. Sheffield lived. We called a cab and he took us straight there.

We pulled up to the house. This was going to end right now.

I didn't even knock. We just went right on in. Sure enough, in Tori's arms was my daughter.

Lennox began to cry, "dada dada." She reached for me and my heart broke.

Tori went rigid. "What are you doing here? I was going to bring her back."

I walked over and reached for my daughter. Her face was bloodshot red. She was terrified. "That's not the point. You have no rights to her. You signed them away a month ago. You kidnapped my daughter. I called the police. They will be here soon. For you. And in Amarillo for Allie." Her eyes went wide. "Yeah, I know all about your plan. Cade called Cassie. Did you really think he would betray his sister?" I spotted her father walk in. I looked to him, "I understand that you want to see her. She is four months old. You had time to come to Amarillo. You could have seen her there. But now, you and your daughter will be arrested. Way to go smart one." I looked back to Tori. "Now, give me my daughter."

Lennox was still crying. She looked around and saw Cassie. She cried, "mama mama."

That did it for Tori. She stood up and handed Lennox to Cassie. Lennox immediately stopped crying.

"Take her," Tori screamed. "She hates me anyways. And she called you mama. I had a little hope that she would remember me, but obviously not."

We heard sirens. Mr. Sheffield began to cry. The police walked up and knocked. Mr. Sheffield opened the door.

"Are Victoria and Vincent Sheffield here," the officer asked.

Tori stepped forward. "I'm Victoria." She looked to her dad. "He's Vincent."

The officer pulled out handcuffs. Two pair. "You two are under arrest for the kidnapping of Lennox Bentley."

They were taken to the car. The final officer turned to me, "I take it you are the one who called?"

"Yes, sir," I swallowed. "Lennox is my daughter, and she was taken from her grandmother's house back in Amarillo, Texas."

"You, my son," he said, "are mighty brave. You took action when most wouldn't." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a wallet. He handed us some cash. "Here. Take this. Go on home kids. This is over. Get that baby safe."

Cassie and I nodded. He offered to drive us to the airport. He dropped us off, and we bought tickets for Amarillo. We would be home by dinner.