Chapter Seven

The first day back was a drag. I just wanted to be with Lennox. Glancing at the clock wasn't going to help any.

The best thing about this semester is: I have every class with Cassie. We did that on purpose. We always do.

The bell finally rang for lunch. Boy was I starving. Cassie got up and met me at the door.

"You ready, for this?" She asked. "Everyone is going to be staring and asking questions?"

"Why should I be? If they want to know anything, I'll tell them the things that I know." I shrugged. I grabbed her hand and drug her along.

I have been grabbing her hand a lot lately. I hope she doesn't mind me keeping her close.

We sat at our usual table with our other two best friends, Kayla and Michael. They were a couple. A little awkward if you ask me.

"So, Wade," Michael began. "How did your break go? How does it feel to be a father?"

Cassie looked at me and smiled sweetly. She nodded for me to go ahead.

"Can I trust you two with something?" I asked looking between both of them.

"Sure thing, Wade," Kayla began. "You know we will never spill on anything you tell us."

"Well," I took a deep breath and began. "I honestly wouldn't know what it feels like to be a father. I have only seen Lennox three times since she was born two weeks ago. Tori kicked me out of the room. I didn't do anything wrong. I just want to be involved. She told me I would never see Lennox again, but she came up with this "arrangement" where I can see her for two hours a week. Stupid, I know. Yesterday, her mom called and asked if I wanted to see Lennox. Of course I did. I also took Cassie with me. I am going to continue talking with her mom and continue seeing Lennox. I also decided, that I am going to take her to court when Lennox gets a little older."

I stopped. Whew. That was a lot.

Cassie reached over and patted my hand. I grabbed it and held it.

Michael looked at me and said, "woah. Some break you had. I wish mine was filled with that much excitement."

I had to stifle my laughter. He always had a way to make you laugh in such situations. Just like Cassie.

Kayla smiled at us and asked, "so, what is this thing that you two have going on? I mean, I know you are always together, but you are never this close."

Cassie blushed, and said, "well, we kinda bonded a little over Lennox. It felt so natural to be with them. We got a little closer because of it." She squeezed my hand.

I didn't know how she felt about the baby situation. I'm glad I do now. I squeezed her hand back and held on tighter. We just stared and smiled at each other.

"Seriously, guys," Michael griped. Like always. "Why don't you two just say I love you and kiss. I think we all know how you feel."

Cassie and I looked at each other again. I think we were both as red as tomatoes.

Thankfully, the bell rang. We were safe. For now.