Chapter Five

I reached out to ring the door bell. My fingers didn't even touch when the door opened up. I looked up to see Mrs. Pat smiling and holding my daughter.

She grabbed me and Cassie into the door. "Boy, you know better than to knock. You are practically my son. Just come in."

I reached out for my daughter, but she just smiled and shook her head. "No, no, no. Introduce me to this young lady first," she said motioning towards Cassie.

I gulped. I grabbed Cassie's hand and brought her forward. "Mrs. Pat, this is Cassie, my best friend. Cassie, this is Mrs. Pat, Lennox's grandmother."

They both smiled, and Cassie reached for hand. Again, Mrs. Pat shook her head. She reached over and have her a big hug. "Any friend of Wade's is a friend of mine. And friends hug."

Cassie just laughed. I felt my self sigh with relief. This will go better than I thought.

...............

I sat in awe of my daughter. She automatically curled up in my arms and went to sleep. I smiled, "man, she is so beautiful. I wish I could see her more often."

I looked over at Cassie who happened to be watching me. She smiled and dropped her gaze.

I looked down at my daughter and said, "do you wanna go see Cassie? Yeah, I thought so."

I stood and walked over to Cassie. She smiled and looked up at me with those gorgeous blue eyes. She looked terrified.

"Hold your arms out," I simply stated.

She held them out slowly, and I gently placed Lennox in them.

"See," I smiled. "It isn't that bad."

I sat beside her, and she immediately started to coo at Lennox. Cassie was a natural. I think I could get used to this.

Lennox opened her eyes and stared at Cassie. Cassie smiled. She had tears form in her eyes. She looked to me and said, "wow, Wade. She has your eyes. She is just a pure beauty."

My heart began to swell. This was a moment I would always remember.

We sat that way for about three hours and just watched Lennox come in and out of sleep. It was getting late, and we both knew that school was going to come in the morning.

I stood and reluctantly handed Lennox back to Mrs. Pat. I kissed Lennox's small head and Mrs. Pat's cheek.

"Thanks for allowing me to come over. I really enjoyed it." I said. I grabbed Cassie's hand and pulled her up. She went to the car and let me say goodbye.

"No problem, Wade," Mrs. Pat smiled. "You know you are welcome here. I'll never let Tori know. Next time you come, be sure to bring that pretty girl with you. Keep her around. She's a good girl."

"I plan on it," I said while walking out the door. I was confused. The mother of my ex wants me to be happy with another girl? Isn't she supposed to try and set me back up with her daughter? Oh, well.

I wasn't lying when I said I was going to keep Cassie around. She is not going to get away too easily.