Chapter 18

"This is all my fault," I mumbled as Freya tied off the braid in my hair.

"What is?"

"Cami. She's in transition because of me."

"What? Ellie, this is not your fault," Freya stated firmly, taking a seat on the couch next to me.

"Aurora went after Cami because she couldn't get to me. Aurora got to her and compelled her to kill herself."

"That doesn't mean it's your fault. Cami was unprotected. In Aurora's eyes, that made her an easy target. You shouldn't blame yourself." I let out a sigh as a man walked into the courtyard carrying a small box and a letter. "Can we help you?"

"I have a delivery for the Mikaelson's," he stated, holding the box out to Freya. She took it and he turned, immediately leaving.

"What is it?" I asked and she shrugged, setting the box down on the table in front of me. As she opened the letter, I grabbed the box. Lifting the lid, I let out a gasp.

***

"Ellie? Freya? What's happening?" I heard a voice ask. Looking up, I saw Elijah.

"Some compelled tourist. He left this," Freya stated softly. Elijah reached down, opening the lid and I turned my head away, not wanting to see it again.

"Who?"

"Jackson," I whispered, tears in my eyes.

"Courtesy of the Strix," Freya announced, handing the letter to him before sitting next to me again.

"So, unless we meet their demands, Hayley will be next."

***

Hayley's head lifted slowly as I knocked on the door to her room. "Hey," I muttered, moving over to where she sat. "I know you probably don't want to talk to anyone right now, especially about what happened today, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you. If you ever need to talk, you can come to me, okay? I know what you're going through."

"You do?" She croaked, voice hoarse from all the crying.

I nodded, "I watched the man I loved die. Granted, he wasn't my husband and we were practically children. Henry and I were two fools in love. I watched him die the same way you –," I trailed off, seeing tears fill her eyes. "So, yes. I know what you're going through. And you don't have to go through it alone."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Why don't I let you get some sleep?" She nodded and I stood, leaving the room.

***

"I guess you can say it's been a bit of a rough week," a familiar voice said from the study. Turning the corner, I found Freya sitting in front of Stefan, applying a paste to his shoulder.

"I thought I heard the voice of a brooding vampire," I commented, walking into the room.

"Ellie, long time no see," Stefan replied, his eyes moving down to my stomach. "And you're pregnant."

"Hugely. I feel like a whale. So what brings you to New Orleans?"

"Oh, you know. Just running from a huntress, getting saved by your controlling hybrid boyfriend, and then returning the favor. Same old stuff."

"Just let that dry and you'll be on your merry way," Freya told him.

"You know, not that I was expecting a parade or anything, but why is everyone so eager for me to go?" Freya glanced over at me.

"What's troubling the Mikaelson's?" Freya asked rhetorically.

"Well, let's see. There's Elijah's super-secret society of ancient vampires," I started.

"One of their most zealous members, an old flame of Elijah's, is trying to undo my mother's most powerful spell," Freya added.

"And on top of all the crap we've got going on, I'm supposed to be welcoming a child in a few weeks."

INCREDIBLY short chapter. Not sure why I made it so short.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I've spent mine going back and forth from my apartment to either my mom's apartment or my aunt's house. Lots of packing and unpacking. I'm also helping my mom plan her wedding. We just picked out her colors yesterday.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.