Chapter 8

"Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job protecting you when you stay within its walls," Nik exclaimed.

"Okay. We get it. Now, let's figure out what we're going to do," Hayley declared.

"What I would like to do is take a strong leash –," Elijah cut Nik off.

"Children, please. Niklaus, your ire is justified, however, Hayley is quite right. We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please."

"This spell you described. Dahlia calls it 'kenning'. Using proxies to watch her enemies from afar. But I've never seen it done on quite this scale," Freya revealed.

"Awesome. So basically every hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy," Hayley commented.

"The good news is I know a little bit about how her magic works. This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us." Rebekah was the first to grab a cup.

"Well, come on. Bottoms up." Hayley and I both grabbed one for ourselves, while Elijah held his out to Nik.

"Don't worry, its safe. It's made of herbal, earthly elements. Ingredients I actually picked up at your shop," Freya informed me, obviously seeing my hesitation.

"Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?" Elijah questioned, still holding the teacup out.

"I prefer biscuits with my tea. Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells. No, what we experienced was a test. Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner rather than later."

"If she was watching us, she'd know we have our own army," Hayley interjected.

"She also knows where we are," Elijah cut in. "And given the immense nature of her power, we simply have no idea what to expect. What we need is to create a new stronghold, something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft."

"That's a fine strategy. I offer another," Freya suggested. "We could use Jackson to trace her magic back to its source. Find out exactly where she is." All eyes turned to Hayley.

"Fine. Do it."

"Good, then it's settled. Off you pop to your respective tasks. Me, I've always been of the opinion that the best defense is a good offense. So, I'm going to find a way to murder that godforsaken witch."

***

"I need to see Elijah," I heard Freya tell the werewolves as she walking into the compound.

"Let her through," Rebekah called out as we made our way down the stairs. "I'm actually glad you're here."

"Freya," Elijah called, coming into the compound as well.

"Are you okay?" I asked, seeing the distress on her face.

"I saw her. Dahlia. She intends to make her move tonight. Klaus and our father will be her next victims," she informed.

"And you have returned to warn the very people who would cast you out," Elijah remarked, glancing over at Rebekah.

"I understand Klaus' mistrust, as I do yours. But I did not come this far to see my family die at the hands of the very evil that I've tried for so long to escape. I'm begging you, help me save them."

"Tell me what you need."

"Dahlia will lure them into a trap. She prefers places of darkness. She'll be drawn to any site that's been steeped in death."

"Well, welcome to New Orleans," Rebekah interjected sarcastically.

"No, I'm talking about dark power created by a massacre. Sacred ground that's been stained with the blood of the innocent."

As she spoke, I realized there was only one place that fit her description, "St. Anne's church."

***

"Will you quit moving? I'm almost done," I stated, wiping the last of the blood off Nik's face.

"Well, that sounds like a bloody fiasco," Rebekah declared as she walked into the courtyard, followed by Elijah. "Where's Dahlia now?"

"She could be anywhere," I replied, sitting on a bar stool next to where Nik stood.

"There wasn't a trace of her left at the church," Elijah added, eyes focused on his father.

"She's done with us for the night. No doubt she wants us to take some time to wallow in our defeat," Freya asserted.

"Defeat? I disagree," Nik stated, setting his drink down and turning to face Freya. "We saw her face, we took her measure. If that's the best she's got, quite frankly, I'm unimpressed."

"Her aim was not to impress us. She wanted us to reveal our sole weapon. And like fools, we did."

"Am I hearing things, or did Nik just exchange words with our father?" Rebekah asked Elijah, not so quietly.

"Rebekah. I'd know that wicked tongue anywhere. What mischief have you gotten yourself into now? No doubt the bastard's doing." I raised a brow at Mikael, my body tensing.

"Enough. My patience, like this farce of a reunion, is at an end," Nik stated, moving back over to where I sat.

"Agreed. There really is only one question here. What exactly are we going to do?" Elijah questioned.

"This was not my plan. You rushed it and made but a single weapon. Of course, she took it from you. And now we've lost what advantage we had and used up the very materials we needed to kill her," Freya rejoined.

"That's a bit histrionic. Your materials are easily found," Nik countered. "Let's take stock, shall we? There's an ample supply of your blood. Norwegian soil is hardly scarce. What else? Yes, the ashes of Dahlia's Viking oppressors."

"Only priceless relics gotten with great difficulty at a museum. Lost due to your worthless strategies," Mikael replied. Before any of us could move, Nik had pushed Mikael up against one of the pillars with the white oak stake digging into his chest. Freya moved to stop him, but Elijah held her back.

"If I feel even the faintest touch of your magic, Freya, I will end him with a flick of my wrist," Nik called over his shoulder. "You don't seem surprised."

"Betrayal is in your nature, boy."

"No. I wasn't born like this. Her, you fight for. Lovely Freya, the daughter you barely know. Yet here was a time when you knew me as your son. A time before all the disappointments, the revelations of betrayal. There were moments when all you had to do was be my father. And even then, you despised me, didn't you? I want to know why."

Mikael shook his head slightly, "I don't know. I just did."

"Are those your final words?"

"Freya, I'm so sorry. I love –," Mikael's words were cut off as Nik pushed the stake into his heart.

"Viking ash is indeed rare. But all you really need is a burning Viking corpse," Nik stated before making his way out of the courtyard. I quickly followed, leaving the siblings. 

Kind of a crappy chapter, but oh well!

Raise your hand if you saw Avengers: Infinity War. *raises hand* Now, raise your hand if you felt personally victimized by this movie. *raises both hands* 

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.