Chapter 9

"Hey, Nik, do you have a minute? There's something –," I trailed off as I made my way into the dining room, seeing Elijah at the other end of the table. "Sorry, I didn't realize we had company."

"Let's discuss strategy, shall we, Niklaus? Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes. Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

"Elijah, I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own personal edification and yet you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns."

"Besides, Nik doesn't have the ashes, I do," I piped up, grabbing a muffin from the food tray and sitting in the seat next to Nik's.

"Can we stop talking so loudly?" Rebekah intimated, walking into the room.

"What's the matter, new witch body not up to last night's bender?" Nik questioned, a smirk on his face.

"So, I had a few. It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother...again."

"Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" Nik started to chuckle, but it died down at the look on Elijah's face. "Oh, come on. We all fled Mikael's tyranny for centuries. I thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant."

"Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with," Elijah reminded him.

"You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzzkill."

"Well, Niklaus, if indeed anything has killed the 'buzz' as you say, perhaps it was because murdering father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia."

"If Freya wants to be a part of this family, she should be willing to accept us, warts and all."

"Elijah's right," Rebekah chimed in. "Freya loved Mikael. And you've likely ruined everything."

"Pity. Whatever shall I do?"

"Whatever you please, apparently," Elijah retorted.

"Do not mistake my high spirits for lack of clarity. I know full well the threat we face, and I intend to deal with it personally." Faint footsteps echoed in the courtyard. "Someone's here." Nik quickly stood from his seat, the three of us following suit.

"Josephine," Elijah greeted as we all stepped out into the courtyard.

"Forgive me for calling so early, Elijah, but I've come bearing a message from your Aunt Dahlia," she announced. "She is owed a debt and she means to be paid."

"She can writhe in hell first," Nik commented.

"For merely taking what your mother promised her? If you must harbor hatred, isn't it better spent on the one who traded your child away a thousand years ago? Blame Esther, if you must, but I seek only to fulfill a bargain. A bargain that consequently resulted in your very existence. Perhaps you should be thanking me."

"Dahlia," I muttered, realizing she wasn't actually Josephine.

"My child, I prefer 'Aunt Dahlia'," she replied, eyes focused on me. Her brows furrowed for a second as her gaze traveled down to my stomach, then back up to my eyes. Feeling fear creep up my spine, I took a step closer to Nik.

"You dare enter my home," he threatened.

"I only come for what is mine. The time has come to add the child's power to my own. Though I do not detect her here."

"Nik," I commented, seeing the blood drip down from underneath her choker.

"I see you've used a spell to cloak her. No matter. Such spells will yield, as will you. Say your farewells. You have until nightfall tomorrow and then the child shall be mine. Be a dear and inform the mother. No reason we can't be civilized about this." Blood continued to seep down Josephine's neck as Nik brought his hand up, decapitating her. Both her head and her body fell to the floor. Seeing both the blood and the body caused a wave of nausea to wash over me. Covering my mouth with my hand, I rushed to the nearest bathroom, heaving into the toilet.

"I'm okay," I muttered, feeling a hand pull my hair back.

***

"How are you feeling?" Nik asked, coming to a stop next to me as I watched people pass below the balcony.

"Better," I replied, giving him a small smile.

"Good."

"You want something, don't you?" I asked, seeing the look on his face.

"I need Mikael's ashes." I nodded my head, making my way inside.

"I think you should paint," I suggested, picking up one of the jars.

"I'm not entirely sure now's the time to be painting, kitten."

"I think you should paint," I repeated, an eyebrow raised as I held the jar out to him. He hesitated for a moment, eyes flickering between me and the jar of paint before the realization hit.

"You put the ashes in the paint, didn't you?" I shrugged a shoulder.

"I might have."

Kind of a short chapter. Just a few more until Ellie's secret is revealed!

I only have a few more weeks of school, then I will get started on the last book!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.