Chapter 6

"It was this witch, Eva. The nasty little cow is inside me, trying to bust her way out," Rebekah complained, pacing in front of the fireplace.

"Freya is waiting downstairs. Perhaps –," Nik cut Elijah off.

"Have you lost your mind? Tell me we're not considering opening our sister's head to someone we barely know?"

"Nik, for god's sake, she is our sister! I've known it since she saved me from the Fauline Cottage."

"An act no doubt meant to secure your trust, perhaps for this very moment, to strike when we are vulnerable. No. We've no way to prove that anything she's said today is true."

"Niklaus, I understand your concern. Both of us are powerless to help our sister and as Ellie mentioned earlier, she is not strong enough to perform the magic needed. Either we leave Rebekah to suffer or we place our faith in the hands of someone I believe to be our blood. Right now, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the family." Nik let out a deep sigh but said no more as Elijah left to go get Freya.

"He's right, Nik," I commented, following him over to the bar, where he was pouring himself a drink. "You guys need help that I cannot provide." He opened his mouth to respond, but I quickly cut him off, "and I know you don't trust her, but maybe you should set that aside and let her help." Nik let out another sigh as he put his feet up on the bar, grabbing onto the bottom of my shirt and gently pulling me closer. "You don't fully trust Davina, yet you ask her for favors. Why is this any different?"

"Okay, kitten, I get your point," he grumbled, wrapping an arm around me. Elijah reappeared in the room, Freya not far behind.

"Rebekah, it's good to see you again."

"And you. Though I'd prefer better circumstances," Rebekah replied, both of them sitting on the couch.

"You needn't worry. Elijah explained the problem and I can help."

"Rather confident, aren't we?" Nik cut in, taking a sip of his drink. Grabbing onto the arm that was still around me, I gave it a small squeeze; a warning to Nik.

"The spirit of the host body is powerful, but I can cast a spell. Put you in a deep sleep and then suppress this other essence," Freya proposed. "You'll be just fine."

"Lovely. When do we start?"

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Nik exclaimed, making us all turn.

"Niklaus," I warned, but he ignored me.

"She spouts off some magical diagnosis and we're all supposed to applaud."

"Nik, she's trying to help," Rebekah countered.

"Yes, but for the sake of keeping our options open, why not write down your spells and incantations? That way, we can have them double checked by an impartial third party," Nik suggested. "Say, Davina. She'd like to prove me wrong."

"I doubt she'd understand my magic, let alone have the power to execute it," Freya asserted.

"Oh, so you're our only hope then. Seems rather convenient, doesn't it?"

"Nik, that's enough," I whispered, my voice firm.

"I knew it would be difficult to win your trust, Niklaus. Your reputation precedes you. But if we are to face Dahlia together, you will have to trust me." Freya stood from her seat, moving over to where Nik and I were. "Given the peril that Rebekah now faces, are you truly incapable of giving me even a chance to prove myself?" Nik turned away from her, facing the bar. "I know I appear as an outsider, but I have dreamt of you all for a thousand years. Elijah, when you were in Esther's womb, she would ask me to sing to you. I would feel her belly as I did. How you would kick. She would say it was as if Thor himself had raised his hammer –,"

"And summoned thunder and lightning," Elijah finished for her, a half smile on his face. "Mother rarely mentioned you. When she did, she would say how enchanted you were by the prospect of my birth."

"How I wanted more brothers. And a sister. More than anything. But between Esther and Dahlia, that wish was taken from me. I was ruined by those who raised me. If nothing else, at least we have that in common."

"More than you know," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest as I leaned back against the bar.

"There is nothing that can replace what was taken from us, but I hope we can make something better in its place. All you have to do is trust me." Before I could blink, Nik was standing behind Freya, snapping her neck.

"Well, that's enough of that, don't you think?" He let go, her body dropping to the floor. "Right. Now we can have a proper family meeting."

"Was that absolutely necessary?" Rebekah questioned, checking on Freya.

"Oh, please. She was insufferable," Nik remarked.

"That was ridiculous, even for you," Elijah cut in.

"You've only just met her. Let's not get sentimental. Besides, if she was telling the truth about being immortal, she'll awaken shortly. If she was lying, good riddance."

"Of course, if she wakes, she'll be willing to help us with unbridled enthusiasm."

"She played you all for fools. Can you not see that? She spins a sad yarn about a small child taken by an evil witch and you fall over yourselves to mend what's broken."

"How can you be so certain?" Rebekah rejoined.

"Simple. It's exactly what I'd do. My only question now is what in it for her?"

"Whatever the truth may be, she's in no position to help us now," Elijah stated.

"Well, then we should try Marcel. Perhaps he's had luck on his end. Surely, he's put in a better effort," Rebekah asserted, leaving the room. Elijah started to follow, but Nik stopped him.

"You know I'm right, Elijah. We can't have an alliance with someone we can't trust."

"If you don't trust her, then that is your choice. I only hope that choice comes from a place of reason, not fear." Elijah left the room and I let out a sigh, looking from Nik to the unconscious body on the floor.

Okay, so I know that this is a day late, but here's why. I was out of town all weekend and spent yesterday in a car. I got home quite late and was really tired, so I went straight to bed.

Anyway, here's the update. I will post Friday, probably kind of early because I have laundry to do before packing for my trip to Houston. (Raise your hand if you're from Houston or Texas in general).

 My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.