Not All Black & White | 06

NOT ALL BLACK AND WHITE | 06

        “Linsay.” I whined as she continued to primp herself in our shared bathroom for her latest date with Gary. “It’s not even a real date Linsay, you hate the man. Why are you going to such lengths to attract him?” I looked at my simple and boring appearance, next to her I was beyond plain.

        She smiled at my reflection, swiping her soft power brush over my nose making me laugh. “You know Audrey, you really don’t see yourself clearly.” I rolled my eyes at her, lately she was always trying to show me how ‘naturally beautiful’ I was.

        With her blonde hair and golden skin, she was equal to a goddess. She look so much like my sister that sometimes when I saw the sway of her blonde locks, I was tricked into thinking that this was just a nightmare, and I had finally woke up.

        “Audrey, all the men in this town drool when you walk past.” I sent a dark glower her way, we both know the men I had drooling were middled aged and married. “I know that Gary think’s you’re beautiful!”

        “Well I’m glad my hideous appearance can attract blood thirsty werewolves that love to feast of human flesh. What was I kidding? I’m the full package.” I leant against the basin and fanned myself dramatically.

        Linsay rolled her eyes while she applied a deep red lip stain. “You know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.” I could see her trying to stop her half coloured lips from flicking up into a smile.

        “At least I’m capable of some semblance of wit Linsay.” She laughed but didn’t respond, pushing me from the bathroom and slamming the door in my face. I turned back to the lounge room to re-read the many handwritten notes on the case, knowing I had nothing better to do.

        My house had become the headquarters for the Werewolf Hunters and they didn’t seem to care whether or not I agreed. I had tried everything and pulled every trick in the book but Linsay and her father were completely at ease in my home, eating my food and using all my hot water.

        The only upside to this situation was I was able to quit my job at the pub and become a police consultant and information analyse. It was weird to have no schedule; I was used to early mornings and late nights, now I was free to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. It made me feel unbalanced.

        This all felt too good to be true, as if soon it would be pulled from under me. I couldn’t deal with losing all that I had finally gotten my hands on.

        I turned to see Gary walking towards me and the documents. “What you looking at?” I screamed and threw myself over the papers and photographs, hiding them from a peeping Gary as he hovered above me.

        “Get back! LINSAY!” I was screaming out profanities while Gary backed up with his hands out before him, he looked utterly terrified.

        Linsay came barrelling down the stairs with her gun poised, she took in the scene before Gary noticed her presence and shoved the gun behind her back, leaning against the wall to conceal her weapon from him. If Gary got a look at her special silver bullet gun, he would immediately know we were onto him.

        Linsay turned up her charm and stepped towards Gary, pulling his face towards her cleavage. “Don’t worry about Audrey, she’s an aspiring writer and freaks out at the thought of people seeing her work.” I nodded along with her story, glad she was able to think of a plausible excuse to my weird behaviour. “I think it’s because she knows how bad she is at it.”