26. Fool Me Once III

Start from the beginning

"She does have a heart," Elena whispers, clutching onto Stefan's arm, wiping a fake tear away.

I cross my arms. "Ha ha, very funny," I sneer.

"I'm going to go get the gasoline," Stefan announces and I refrain myself from making a Halsey reference. "Elena?" He holds his hand out.

Elena gives me a questioning look and I shoo her away. "Go with lover boy, but come straight back." She shoots me a smile and takes his hand. They start to walk away and I yell out after them, "No hooking up in the woods! That's just nasty!"

Bonnie chuckles and I start to walk over to her before Damon's voice stops me. "You ready?"

I whirl around, eyebrows raised to Damon. "Blood sucking, slightly psychotic, yet hot, love struck, hundred sixty something year old vampire say what?" Damon gapes at me while I nod slowly. "That's right, I just went Miley Stewart on your ass."

"Did you just call me hot?" He asks, smirking with a raised eyebrow. I pinch the bridge of my nose and exhale. Of all the things to pay attention to that I called him, of course he had to choose hot. No, forget that I called you psychotic or anything. "Because if you want me all you have to do is ask."

I scoff. "Please, don't flatter yourself. Not to mention we are literally outside the tomb where the girl you have been pining over for over a century resides in. Now isn't really the time for pick up lines."

"You do have a point there. Speaking of getting my girl, it's time to get her. Let's go, Emily," he demands, stepping aside to allow me to go through. I give him my best 'are you fucking me?' look.

"It's really nice night out. I mean, look at the moon. Is that the Big Dipper I see?!" I say, trying to weasel my way out of this. I didn't even want to come here to get Katherine, let alone walk into their and get her myself.

Damon walks over, the leaves crunching beneath his feet and it's an oddly satisfying sound. "I mean, yeah. The stars seem to be shining extra bright today. Probably because they know what's happening, and that it's important to shine bright for Katherine as dumb as that sounds. Also I just kinda wanted to make a Rihanna reference. You know, shine bright like a diamond?"

I glance at Damon from a side view and see him gazing up at them, a slight furrow between his eyebrows, yet a small genuine smile printed on his face.

It makes something in me feel all giddy inside, but then I remember who that smile is for.

Then something in me just drops.

"Anyways, yeah!" Damon starts, making me snap out of it and try to recollect my thoughts. "Tonight is important and it's time to get the show on the road." He gestures with his hands for me to enter the tomb, but it's literally the last thing I want to do right now.

"Nada senór," I say, surprising myself with the words of Spanish leaving my mouth. I take French! Well those are basic words that almost everyone knows, so now I feel a little stupid for thinking I'm smart for knowing them.

"Nena, no puedo hacer esto sin ti," he replies right back, making me open my mouth in surprise. But also blush slightly, because, although I have no idea what he just said, damn he can speak Spanish sexy.

I shake my head. "No español."

He smirks. "Come on, enough stalling," he says, grabbing me by my waist and I squirm from the feel of his touch.

I don't understand. I hate the actions of Damon and what he does, yet whenever we're together I never find myself staying mad at him and it's infuriating! I try so hard and want to so bad, and I don't understand why I can't.

He gently leads me to the tomb, and I could easily protest and turn right back around, but this is something Damon wants. So I find myself walking willingly to the entrance even though I tell my feet to stop.

"Don't take her in. I'll bring the walls down," Grams warns, setting her mouth in a thin line. It doesn't look like she's joking, and quite frankly I don't want to be crushed by the rubble.

Bonnie steps in front of her, a fiery look in her eyes, and threatens, "Screw that, I'll bring you down, Damon. It's time to stop using her. I've had enough of it."

I experience the same dropping feeling in me, when I realize the truth of Bonnie's words.

"You think that I don't know you'll do all those things wether she's with me or not? I'm not using Emily," Damon states, grabbing a torch from the ground.

"Your ass must be jealous from all that shit that comes from your mouth, Salvatore," I say, crossing my arms. "If all that's true, then why do I need to come with you."

Damon shuffles a bit on his feet and I sense the fact that he's embarrassed. What the hell? "If you must know," he starts, taking a breath for dramatic effect, "I'm scared of the dark."

Grams rolls her eyes and there is a muffled giggle from Bonnie. I just pat Damon on the back, directing him towards the tomb. "Wow, Salvatore, my nonexistent balls are bigger than your real ones," I tease.

He grumbles something to himself as he takes a few steps into the tomb. He turns around waiting for me, but before I follow and I look to Bonnie. "I'll be ok. Big girl with a big guns," I reassure, flexing for extra effect. There's obviously no muscle there, but Bonnie still pretends to be impressed like a good friend.

I face forward and shoo Damon onwards as I walk with from behind. And as he continues to walk, searching for his long lost lover it hits me.

Even through all the warnings about him I still associated myself with Damon. Even through all the bad things he has done, I have been able to see the good he has within him. Even though everyone told me to stay away and that I should be scared, I kept myself around Damon and found myself intrigued by him. Even though we are currently looking for the love of his life and I hate the fact that he is going to leave, I'm still here with him, helping him even. Because I want him to be happy.

It's then that I realize that I have true feelings for Damon Salvatore.

Yet he will never be mine.

And I will never be his first choice.

A\N

Hey guys! How's everyone's summer going? Mine is going good cause well ya know this book hit 21k...

21k!!!

Thank you guys so much for sticking with me and allowing me the chance to reach this amazing goal! I can't even describe how much it means to me that y'all like this book enough to continue to read it and reach that goal! I can't wait to pass many more milestones with you guys! I love all of you!

But what have you thought about this chapter? Emily finally revealed her feelings! But she can't even say them to Damon because he wants Katherine :(

Let me know what you thought in the comments!

So sorry for this chapter being short, but I hope it was worth it. The next chapter will definitely be longer! Also it will be uploaded between Wednesday and Thursday!

Love you!

Xoxo

Updated// July 30, 2018

Next Update// August 1-2