Ch 62: Save You Tonight

Heather's POV

I wait until Niall's breathing softens and becomes the very slow rhythm that I fall asleep to every night. Tonight, however, will be different.

I quietly reach underneath my pillow to grab by small cross-body coach purse, my phone, and my headband. I move the covers and step off of the bed. Niall slowly shifts, so I pause. He reaches his arm out towards where I am supposed to be, so I quickly place my pillow underneath his arm. He wraps his arm around the pillow and brings it closer to him, cuddling it like it is his child. For a moment I feel guilty, but it doesn't last long.

Once he is settled and calm again, I throw the purse over my head and slip out of the room. I take off his huge sweater, revealing what is underneath. It is a short, white romper with ruffles trailing down from top to bottom. I pull the headband and place it neatly in my hair. It is key to look fabulous, no matter where you're going. When I reach the elevator, I enter and use the mirror to apply a strip of red lipstick across my lips. I pucker them and exit into the foyer. My hand wraps around the handle of the small closet door. I grab the keys to the Bentley and slip on the white heels.

I spin around and head towards the front door. I turn the knob, which makes a soft click, and exit. The driveway is illuminated by the neon lights coming from the fountain. I pace towards the Bentley and get in. I take my phone out and enter the address into the GPS to begin my adventure.

* * *

I arrive at his apartment complex in about five minutes, which is fucking lame as hell because I thought that I would have a long ass time to actually think about what I am going to say, what I am going to do. But of course the odds are against Heather, as usual. I could just stay in the car and think everything through, but everyone knows that isn't possible for me. Once I have the chance to fuck shit up, I take it. That's just me.

I jump out of the car and take out my phone to remind myself of his apartment number. It is on the third floor. Number 311.

My walk turns into a slow jog as the glass doors of the building slide open for me. The bald guy at the front desk gives me a weird look as I pass him.

"No problem here, Sir. Just going to beat the shit out of my ex."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," he responds as he buries his head in the paperwork on his desk.

I click the button on the elevator and step inside when it opens. I hit the number three. The more the elevator rises, the more my stomach drops. This will be my first actual encounter with Mason since months ago when I met him at the mall to use him for my scheme. However, that was not nearly as nerve-wracking as this is. For example - I was definitely not alone in that mall. Hundreds of people surrounded me and if anything happened, someone would be there to protect me. Right now, I have absolutely nobody watching me. I will be completely alone with the monster who has taken over my mind.

The elevator beeps and opens on the third floor. I see an arrow pointing to the right that says "301-320," so I turn right. After ten doors, I am finally standing in front of his door. Room number 311.

I take a deep breath before I do anything. My shitty mind decides to replay every treacherous moment I had ever spent with him. He ruined me, and now he is about to destroy my best friend.

Without realizing, I am furiously knocking on his door. Not even after ten seconds, the door swings open, and he stands there. What's even worse is that he wears a gold man thong. And what's even worse than that is the fact that I know he did it for Nicole.

"Heather." He coughs. "I wasn't expecting you."

My mouth freezes for a few seconds as I stare into the eyes that have frightened me not only in my sleep, but in my wake. Memories of the hallucinations come flooding in, but I shake my head and try my hardest to concentrate on reality this time.