Ch 18: Emptiness

Harry's POV

"Time to go!" Nicole sings.

Nicole seems so elated at the fact that she is about to show me her home for the first time. She prances over to the front door and scurries to Heather's car. I amble towards the overjoyed girl who is standing there with the biggest smile spread across her face. I can't help but grin myself because she is so happy.

Heather unlocks her Bentley and Nicole pulls me into the backseat with her. I am surprised that she would rather sit with me in the back than with her best friend for - how many years?

"How long have you two been friends, anyways?" I ask as Heather pops into the front seat.

"Like five years," Heather replies.

"How far away is her house?" I ask.

"Like five minutes away," Heather replies as she starts the car. "Let's hear something about you, Mr. Styles."

"Well, I sing," I joke.

Nicole's little smile appears on her face, sending a rush through my body. I love making her happy, even if it is as simple as that.

"Seriously, I barely know anything about you. What's your favorite color?" Heather asks.

"Orange," I reply.

"Orange? Why orange?" She pulls out of her long driveway.

"I'm really not sure." My phone starts ringing.

Probably Niall worrying about me.

I reach into my pocket and look at the name illuminated on the screen. I would rather be lectured by Niall than talk to her.

"Tracey." I clench my teeth together. "Everyone stay quiet."

"Hello?" I say into the phone.

"HAROLD EDWARD STYLES. Where the hell have you been? You have a concert tonight and multiple people have just told me that you are missing."

"I just went out for a snack, calm down," I lie.

"The concert starts at 7:30. You have to be there at 3:00 for hair & makeup, rehearsal, and soundcheck. You better get there soon," she threatens.

I was so drunk last night that I forgot I had a concert today.

"I will." I hang up and slump down into my seat. Nicole is going to be so upset.

"Heather, I think we need to turn around," I say, looking at Nicole. Her bubbly expression vanishes in seconds.

"Why?" Heather glances at Nicole, sees her expression, and then glares at me angrily.

"Management just called, I have to be at a concert in two and a half hours and it takes me about that amount of time to get home," I explain.

"Shit," she says under her breath, turning around abruptly.

Nicole turns towards the window and rests her head against it. An empty pit forms in my stomach. This will never work out. I am ruining her life already.

Everyone in the car is silent, so I decide to call the taxi. I tell the man to pick me up at Heather's address in ten minutes, even though we are going to be there in two. I want to explain to Nicole that I can't do this anymore. I can't see her like this; it hurts me much more than it should. Leaving and not coming back will be the best answer, even though I have already tried that once.

Heather pulls into her driveway and is still silent. She is probably going to beat me when I get out of this car for hurting Nicole.

Heather stops the car in front of her house and everyone gets out.

"You're welcome to come inside until your taxi arrives," Heather offers. I am glad that she is actually being civil towards me and not pounding my head into the driveway.

Nicole follows behind her, not saying a word.

"Wait," I say. "Nicole, can I talk to you out here?"

She turns around and mutters, "Sure".

Heather continues inside and shuts the door behind her. Nicole walks over to me and we sit down in the patch of grass in the middle of Heather's driveway. We are surrounded by beautiful flowers of all colors and a lovely stream with vivid fish peacefully swimming along with the current.

Nicole looks at me with her vibrant green eyes and the pit in my stomach feels as if it got larger. Leaving her now will be ten times harder than when Niall and I snuck out. I hadn't known how affectionate she was at all before. I thought that this would actually be able to work when I saw how happy she was, and then management had to ruin everything once again.

"Nicole, I am so sorry that I have to leave again. I know it's going to be much too difficult for us to be together and I can't stand the idea of hurting you anymore than I already have today. Seeing you like this just -"

All of a sudden Nicole leans in and gives me a soft kiss, shutting me up. Her face lights up with a gorgeous smile and she whispers, "It's okay, Harry, I know its going to be hard but I can do it. I promise you. No one will ever know about us until the contract is over."

"But Nicole, that's in about two years -"

"I know, we will see how it goes. I think we can do it," she beams. Happiness flows inside me when I look at her smile. The emptiness in my stomach quickly fills up with joy.

"But, I don't want to hurt you anymore," I say, looking down at the grass.

"You won't," she affirms.

"How do you know?"

"I won't let you," she smirks. "So, when will I see you again?"

The taxi pulls up in front of Heather's driveway.

"Well, we have one last concert here tonight, two concerts in Missouri and then two more in Michigan. After that, we have a three day break. How about you meet me in Michigan for my last concert and then we can go to your house?" I suggest, knowing she will be ecstatic about the plan.

She quickly nods and wraps her arms around my neck.

"Thank you," she whispers. "I'll see you in Michigan."

She lets go of me and points to the taxi that I had forgotten about.

"I'll miss you, Nicole," I say as we stand up.

"I'll miss you more!" She sings as I turn around and walk down Heather's driveway.

I quickly realize that I don't even have any way to communicate with her. I turn around as she is walking towards the front door.

"Nicole!" I shout.

She turns around and yells, "Yeah?"

"I don't even have your number!" I scream.

"I'll tell Niall to give it to you when you get home!" She screams back.

I don't even try to think of how he got her number before I did.

"Okay! Goodbye, love!" I turn around, knowing how happy Nicole is.

This will work.