=Chapter Seven=

§

Present Day

It was currently seven-thirty in the afternoon, and most of the students stood in the hallway, thinking about what to do. The hard thing about getting to do "whatever they want" was that they forgot where everything was in the school, so they had nowhere to go.

Well, almost no one.

Avalon Sable was one of the only kids actually paying attention to where Professor Suarez was leading them. She knew it would come in handy; and it did. There was so many things to find out about the school that she could not let one minute go to waste!

Once she told Devin where she was going, she excitedly rushed to the closest library, immersing herself in the beauty of all of the secrets of the school.

It was strange how eager she was to read. Sure, she had always liked it, but never loved it. Maybe it was partly due to the fact that she could actually apply what she learned into her current situation. No, not the way you "apply" things you learned to real life like they told you to in school, but actually use them to her advantage. 

Also, she might learn something interesting about the school itself on the way. Like a secret passage, perhaps? Or a dark history behind it? Or a murder?! The possibilities for interesting cases in a castle that hosts magic were endless.

She swung the door to the library open, letting out a deep, relaxing breath as she looked at the options. It was the Miss Hendrix's library, the one holding history books and records. Unlike in class, Avalon had the freedom to look at whatever she wanted whenever she wanted.

Avalon slowly walked to the filing cabinet near the back of the library, shuffling through the options until she found some old newspapers, one catching her eye with the headline, "Mass Murder Spree On Elkman Street. Twenty Killed, More Than One Hundred Injured. Is Dark Magic The Cause?"

Once she got a few that satisfied her, she took at seat at the table and started reading.

×××

Eli and Emery walked out of the classroom, Emery talking while Eli quietly listened. Everyone else had already left to do their own thing, but the two boys stayed loitering outside of Mr. Harrison's classroom.

"So, basically, my sister Mare is in college now, but when she was in high school, she would always bring her boyfriends over to our house for dinner. Now, my parents are usually pretty chill, but when it comes to dating, they're full-on Parent Cops. This one time, Mare brought home this boy named Colton over, and my parents weren't very excited about him, just because of her record with staying in a relationship. So they asked her about him, and she said that he was just a friend. But of course, they didn't believe her.

"Anyways, Colton stayed for dinner, and my parents went on questioning him about himself. He was pretty nice, actually, telling them that he played soccer and liked science, but when my parents asked him how long Mare and him had been dating, he quickly denied it and said that he was in a relationship with someone else. A boy named Ryder."

Emery chuckled, Eli letting out a weak one as well. "My parents apologized about fifty times that night!"

Eli bit his lip. He really wanted to comprehend what Emery was saying, but his mind was elsewhere. With everything he had done that day, he had almost forgot.