=Chapter Six=

§

Two Years Earlier

Chills were sent through the four adults' bodies, the cold atmosphere forcing them to preserve as much heat as possible by wearing jackets and coats. Even the crinkling fire couldn't help their shivering figures. The dim light of the candles shined across their faces, just bright enough to make out what displayed on each one. They were all silent for a few minutes, contemplating what they had just witnessed.

"Four times," The Asian woman started in a whisper, voice gradually getting louder. "Four times we have tried, and four times we have failed! We might as well give up!"

"Nonsense!" The oldest man countered. "Giving up will ensure the pure destruction of all of society!"

"But won't continuing ensure putting young adults into a dangerous situation that they didn't sign up for?" The youngest man replied, worry on his face.

"We don't know that," The man with round spectacles said. "Maybe we just haven't been trying the right strategies!"

"We have tried everything!" The Asian woman argued. "Haven't we done enough already?"

"We have only tried four times!" The oldest man yelled. "There must be something we're missing!"

"Like the right teacher?" The man with round spectacles brought up, a glimmer in his eye. The other three turned towards him, tilting their heads.

"Herman, you are far too unqualified," The Asian woman reasoned. "It would be irresponsible-"

However, the man with round spectacles would not listen to her. "I might not be the best with magic, but I am by far the best with kids. I have a daughter, might I remind you."

"Having a daughter does not make you qualified to teach twelve teenagers the art of something you hardly understand."

"Have you forgotten that Robert is younger than me, yet he had a chance?"

"Robert Harrison is one of the most gifted Charmsman of his day, if not ever," The oldest man added. "Age has no matter in deciding who should teach a class. Only experience."

"But you haven't even given me a chance to get experience!"

"If you put a little more time into learning, we might have."

"Of course you're standing up for him, Griffin. Shreya, back me up."

"I'm sorry, Herman, but I can't back you up for something I don't agree on," The Asian woman said, strictness in her voice.

"Just perfect," The man with round spectacles muttered under his breath. "You're all too scared I'm going to screw it up to even give me a chance."

"That's not it," The youngest man corrected. "I just still don't think trying again is a good idea-"

"It is the only idea we have, Robert!" The oldest man yelled, slamming his hand on the desk. The man with round spectacles jumped, along with the youngest man. The oldest man took a deep breath before continuing. "The world is falling apart. The only hope we have is our youth. We'll hide all of the potentionally dangerous spellbooks in the cellar so that only we can get to them."

"But-"

"Not buts, Shreya! We need to do this!"

There was a moment of silence between the four adults before the oldest man turned to the man with the round spectacles.

"I hate it admit it," He started. "but Herman may just be right about trying it himself."

The Asian woman gasped. "But he's unqualified! Remember Juliet-"

"Of course I remember Juliet!" The oldest man screamed so loud it could have made them all deaf. He caught his breath, hanging his head. His voice became quieter. "How could I not?"

The youngest man's face turned sorrowful, and the man with round spectacles frowned as he remembered the her.

The oldest man continued. "Herman hasn't tried it out yet. Maybe he can do something none of us have yet. Maybe he can protect them."

"I'll go with him," The Asian woman offered, but the oldest man shut down her offer.

"No. He's going to do this alone. We could mess it up-like we did the other four times."

The man with round spectacles beamed. "I will not let you down," He promised.

"You better not," The oldest man said, a strict look on his face. He glanced at the letter on the desk, at the fancy writing that he recognised ever so well. He had been looking it over night, after night, after night, every word etched into his brain because of the repetition.

There was a moment of silence before he added, "Meeting adjourned."

The other three left, the man with round spectacles still smiling, the youngest man nervous and the Asian woman still in shock. The oldest man turned to the window, his eyes meeting the moon and it's silvery glow across the sky.

It was going to work this time. He knew it was. It had to.

§

A/N

Sorry if I got your hopes up of a new chapter set in present day, but I hope you still enjoyed this. I will occasionally put some flashback chapters set in the past in this book, this being one of the first. To be honest, lots of these are just fillers or explanations, which is why they're so short, buteven though they don't include the students, they are still really important.

And finally, as always, love you guys!

-Puffin ❤