=Chapter One=

Please read all of the parts, even if it's not your character's (I know it's long but it's easily the longest chapter in the whole book and one of the most important). They are important to the plot. All of these parts take place in the past at different times, each of them having to do with a certain character's backstory (make sure to pay attention if it is in weeks, months, years, etc). I will put how much earlier than chapter two (the first real chapter of the book) it takes place.

Yes, I realize some parts are longer than others, but if I did all of them about 800 words then I would have about 7,200 words in this chapter (since the twins and two other charaters share parts) and that is way too long, and if I did them all very short then not all the information would fit. Plus, it was hard enough to write 9 different parts.

|ps the word count for this chapter was 5,313 words including the author's note which was much more than I was planning for. it took longer to write than i wanted oops|

|also this is unedited because I wanted to get this out asap and I really don't want to edit over 5,000 words|

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Drugs, gangs, homophobia, lgbtq+ aspects including homosexuality and transgender characters, and swearing

§

Nine And A Half Months Earlier

The music blasted through his headphones, soothing any nerve in his body that might have been worried. Eli Alaska always loved listening to music, but not the crappy pop that everyone his age adored for some reason. He didn't even use a phone like everyone else did. No, he liked the classic type of music, the type that stores had on cassette tapes.

Come As You Are by Nirvana started playing into his ears, and he smiled. He loved that band.

Come as you are, as you were
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend
As an known ene-

"Hazel!"

Eli winced at that name. He moved one of the headphones from his ear, turning around a little. The music kept playing. "What is it, Tilly?" 

Tilly was a little older than Eli by one year. She still saw him as her younger sister, and Eli never corrected her.

"Mrs. Hochman's gone mad," She said, panting. She ran over to Eli, pulling him off the ground. "We need to get to the basement right now."

"What?" Eli asked, startled. He took off his headphones and left them hanging around his neck. Mrs. Hochman wasn't the type to go crazy. She was a kind woman who was in her mid-fifties with three children, one who was in college, one in her senior year of high school and one about Eli's age, who he was actually quite good friends with. "Is Lyle okay? And Georgia?"

"Come on, Hazel!" Worried by how she didn't answer his question, he ran out of his room with her, keeping his headphones and cassette player close to his chest. He heard a scream from outside, which only made him run faster.

"Where are Mom and Dad?" Eli asked before they got to the basement.

"They're downstairs, they asked me to get you," Tilly said panicking.