=Chapter Five=

§

Finally, it had arrived. After hours of clutching their stomach in hunger, it was here.

Lunch.

Well actually, at that point, it was more like dinner.

Margaret had made her "special homemade lasagna with beef, cheese and tomatoes" and a version without beef as a vegetarian option. Cameron was the only one who chose the latter. Along with the lasagna, Margaret laid out a few drink options, including water and lemonade, salad, and cheesecake for dessert. Sure, she was probably giving them so much because it was their first day and she wanted to make a good first impression, but it sure did work.  

"These little kids are going to get eaten alive here," Caleb said with a sigh as he grabbed a piece of beef lasagna.

"Damn straight," Nikita agreed. He turned his head to face her, making a small smirk. She returned it, and without verbally agreeing on it, the two started towards a table together.

Emery grabbed his tray from the counter, turning around to face the whole cafeteria. Cameron, Parker and Lukas sat at one area, Parker and Lukas making small talk while Cameron nodded along silently. Nikita and Caleb sat together-which was shocking in a way; two loners sitting together-and Devin and Avalon were at another table. Oliver passed from behind Emery and smiled at him, joining Mira as she walked towards Devin and Avalon at their table.

Emery hurried towards their table, but then something else caught his eye. Eli was sitting at a table far away from everyone else, slowly eating his lasagna as he swayed to his music. The boy's eyes darted between tables before deciding on one.

Emery, tray in hand, stepped over to Eli and stood above him, waiting before sitting down. When Eli didn't acknowledge his presence, Emery set his hand near Eli's tray to get his attention. Eli looked up slowly, keeping his headphones on.

"Can I help you?" He asked sarcastically.

Not taken back by the comment, Emery said, "Is this seat taken?" as he motioned to the chair across from Eli.

Eli, a little surprised, took off his headphones and let them hang around his neck. "Um, no?" He said, but it sounded more like a question, like he was trying to ask, "Why do you want to sit with me, the strange headphones kid, out of all the people you have the option to sit with?"

Emery smiled as he sat down, looking at Eli and waiting for him to say something. But he didn't. He just chewed his food as he looked at Emery with a confused expression.

Emery bit his lip before he started the conversation. "You like music, huh?"

Eli raised an eyebrow. "You just noticed that?"

Emery let out a small, awkward laugh. "Well, um, what kind of music?"

He shrugged. "I like nineties stuff. Eighties is pretty cool, too. But Nirvana is the best."

"Nirvana? Is that a music genre?"

"It's a band."

Emery nodded along. "I think I've heard of them. They have an album called The Wall, right?"

"That's Pink Floyd."