Chapter Twelve (Colt)

Colt found himself walking beside Amneris in silence. They had been walking for some time but stopped when they reached the silver bridge spanning the Najima. Amneris leaned over the silver rail and looked over the now-indigo ocean. Colt came up beside her, surprised when she took a step closer to him. They watched the golden lights of boats bobbing in the waves which had appeared following a large gust of wind. It was just a small breeze now.

Colt glanced down, seeing a distant expression on the queen's face. He was about to ask her what was wrong when she started speaking, thought it was more to herself. "This is one of the few places I can actually be myself. It's peaceful enough, though we get our fair share of natural disasters every now and then." She sighed, looking down. "I know what you're thinking?"

"You do."

"Yeah. You're wondering why I haven't destroyed Terpola."

It was true. He had been wondering that for a while now. He knew she was powerful – more powerful than she had been the last time they were together and seemed to only be getting stronger as each day passed. The fact that she could remain in her Fae form was a miracle to him. "I am," Colt confirmed. The look she gave him made him question if he should have changed the topic.

"I can't do it. Yeah, I have that kind of power, but I can't. It wouldn't just destroy order within the multiverse. Only someone completely insane would do it." She shook her head, some of her golden strands falling over her face. "Enliatu would do it." Her hands tightened on the railing. "If Tara does manage to free him from Negative Space then . . ." She trailed off as a strong gust of wind blew past them.

Colt could hear the words left unsaid. Why me? He understood more than she realised. After all, he was to blame for what she had gone through. While he could not change what he had done to her in the past, he could try to take away some of the pain. Colt took Amneris' hand, making her look at him. "We will stop him. Both of them."

"I don't know anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I have all this power, but I can't use it." She waved a hand in front of her, small sparks flying from her fingers before disappearing into the air. "I could destroy and remake the entire multiverse if I wanted to, but I can't. Hell, I'm not supposed to do more than half the thing I do. I'm supposed to be an observer. I'm supposed to do nothing but watch and let fate play out, but I just . . ."

"It is not you," Colt finished quiet enough that he was unsure if she had heard him.

"Exactly." She nodded. "But, there are times, where I think it would be best if I did just stay away from everything and watch. Things might have turned out better." She turned away from him. "Maybe if I had never made myself known, they would've been able to have the lives they deserved." She shook her head, her hair falling over her shoulders from the movement. "If Enliatu came back, he would force me to watch as he annihilated the worlds and slowly killed my family before killing me. That's something that I . . ."

Unable to stop himself, Colt went up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. He waited for her to kick him away or toss him over her shoulder, but she never did. Instead, Amneris leaned back against him, seeming to relax a little. He knew full well what had happened to her in the past; had seen it with his own eyes. He knew she blamed herself for everything that had happened, though he was partially to blame for . . . certain events that had followed her death. Just tell her. Tell her who you are. Do it already. He ignored his mind's advice. Now was probably the worst time for that conversation.

Instead, he rested his head on hers as the watched the stars. No, not stars. There are no stars here. They are universes. "It will not happen again," he told her firmly. "We will make sure it does not happen again." With one more tight hug, he let go of her. "We will stop the Dark King and then you will have a chance at a normal life." Colt did not realise how crazy what he had said sounded until he laughed slightly. "As normal as you can get, anyway."

Amneris laughed with him, turning around so she could face him. She closed her eyes as he brushed a hand down the side of her face. "Thank you," she said.

"For what?"

"Just talking."

He smiled at her, slipping his hand into hers as music floated up from the snow-white city. "Dance with me?" he asked, bowing.

Amneris smirked but curtsied. "Of course."

She took a step towards him, letting him place his hand on her waist, and sway with her slowly. Colt could hardly contain his surprise when she leant against him, placing her head against his chest. She seemed content to stay there, he realised. He did not mind at all. Amneris pulled back after a moment, glancing up at him with a small frown. "Why didn't you leave Terpola sooner?"

The question caught him off guard. He had never actually thought about why he stayed on Terpola after coming back from Aaru. He always told himself it was because of Tara but that was becoming a more obvious lie every time he told it. Even so, it was the only one he had. The only one that would make sense. He said what the original owner of his body would have said. "Tara is my big sis."

Oh, she mouthed.

"I've never agreed with her methods and have managed to talk her out of some plans." It was true, in a way. "But, this time, I do not agree with her and want to stop her." Among other things.

"You could help better if you joined my Court."

He could swear she was blushing slightly. "I'd like that," he said, "But why would you want my help?"

"Because you're a good person. I can tell." She took a step back. "There's a catch, though. Once you join my Court, there is no coming back. Not only would you become a permanent member of my Court, but you would also become an immortal. Do you still want to join?"

His mind raced. To be an immortal like her. To be with her the way it was supposed to be so long ago. "I still wish to join you."

She raised her hands in his direction. He took them. Her form shimmered momentarily before going back to normal. "Last chance to change your mind."

"My answer is still yes."

"Don't say I didn't warn you, okay?" she laughed. Amneris closed her eyes, cyan aura coming off her form and covering his body. Once it vanished, she let go of his hands. He suddenly felt a burning sensation on his right forearm. When he looked down, he saw the insignia of the Lyriumian Court there – a pentacle surrounded by swirls and diamonds. "The others already know."

Colt's gaze went back to her. "How?"

"They're Court members, too," she answered with a wave of her hand, sounding like it was the most obvious thing to say. They always know. She stretched her arms above her head before speaking again. "We should get going. I've got a shit load of stuff to do tomorrow and there's no way I'm getting it done without some sleep."

"Stuff?"

"Paperwork," she huffed, blowing a golden strand of her hair off her face.

He laughed. "The downside of being queen, then."

She snorted. "You're telling me."

She linked their arms, beginning to pull him back towards the edge of the city. Colt could still see some darkness in her eyes. He wanted nothing more than to get rid of it. "We will stop him." She gave him a confused look. "Enliatu. We will stop him, all of us, and then you are going to have a normal life."

"Normal-ish," she corrected.

She seemed to dismiss what he had said, but he realised he was wrong when she stood on her toes to kiss him on the cheek. It was only a small gesture, but he understood it perfectly.