Chapter 5: Second time

Nov 8 2038; PM 12:08:45

"Connor? You haven't talked to me all day. What is it?"Chloe sounded annoyed. Connor used to be so talkative but today hewas just... quiet.

He lets out a sharp sigh as he glances over at her.

"What you said yesterday is wrong, Chloe. Deviants area threat to humans. And it's our mission to stop it." His voiceis deeper than usual, he sounds... angry?

"Look, I'm sorry okay? But... you're a machine, Connor. Sowhy are you acting like you're so angry? It's not like you wereprogrammed to have emotions." She yelled at him, her voicestronger.

"I'm not angry!" Connor yelled back.

"Yes you are!" Chloe disagrees. "I can't believethis." She spoke as she got up and left the lunch room.

...

Connor walks up behind Chloe as she's staring out the window,looking at the loud city. She was thinking about Connor. At first,she didn't like the idea of an android hanging around but then he wasvery helpful, and caring. But now, he doesn't seem to care at all,only about the mission. And he shows no empathy for the deviants.Chloe thought he was kind-hearted, but he's just a machine designed to accomplish a task.Just a machine.

Connor chuckles. "You called me a machine earlier. I thoughtyou saw me as a person." He spoke.

"Leave me alone." She sighed as she walked past him,back to her desk.

Connor quickly followed behind.

"I said leave me alone!" She insisted.

"Hey Chloe!" Gavin shouted, trying to get her attention.

Chloe looked at Gavin for a second and then at Connor. Gavin walked up to her.

"I see that your... plastic boyfriend here is annoying."He chuckles, pointing at Connor for a brief moment.

"It's not my boyfriend. It's just a machine." She saidcalmly.

"Finally! You admitted it. Let's go to the restaurant. I canget you whatever you want." He offered.

"She said before that she does not want to go with you,Gavin." Connor quickly replied, crossing his arms.

"Well maybe she changed her mind..." Gavin said quietly.

Chloe didn't say anything back to them. She just simply made eyecontact with Connor for a moment before turning back into her work.

Gavin chuckled as he stared at Connor.

"What a strange android." Gavin said before he lefttheir desks, leaving Connor and Chloe alone. Connor has felt...emotions around Chloe, but his investigation is moreimportant. He does not want to upset Amanda, so he'll stop caring somuch about Chloe. He will not let anyone get in the way ofaccomplishing his missions. Nothing else matters except the mission.She doesn't matter. She never mattered. But she does...

Chloe sighed as she stared at him. Connor noticed but he did notwant to look at her. She does not matter.

"What are you thinking about, Connor?" She smiled.

"I do not think, I am a machine." He replied calmly.

Chloe looked down. "I thought you liked me. Appears that I'mwrong." She said before closing her eyes completely.

"That's not true, Chloe." Connor raised his eyebrows,looking over at Chloe, with his hands on the desk.

"So you do like me?" She quietly asked, opening hereyes, blinking a few times before looking at him again.