Chapter 12

••••••••••••••POV Jewel••••••••••••••

I walked back to school with the rest of the Jaunty Outsiders. It was odd because I didn't even belong with these kids. I was with the soccer clan, but I guess the Outsiders always have to do the dirty work. I paused for a moment, Jaunty never acts as a family, not the way Montusko does. There's always drama and fights. Armor and Raine were ready to do whatever it takes to bring Ekon home and they were willing to keep me safe because Ekon wanted me around...why though? Ekon didn't know me before and I am apart of the rival team. I know why I wanted to stay, that was clear to me. Maybe I should've told her. I mean it felt so right being with her. Anytime we touched, it was a feeling that I never wanted to leave.

I shook the thought from my head. I looked around the grim army of teens. They didn't actually care. They were out here to show off their strengths. Back at Montusko, they cared. We sat there worried sick about Ekon. Here, I don't think anyone would bat an eye if a regular went missing. Eventually, we made it to Jaunty and everyone split up to do their own thing. Edge stayed with me, silently walking. "What do you want?" I said a little harsher than intended.

"Nothing else than to make sure you get to you clan safely. I can't believe that those Montusko scum would even dare to kidnap such a fine leaders as yourself. I will make them pay, starting with that Ekon kid." he snarled. I turned and glared at him, "Leave me alone. I can make it to my base from here." With that, I left Edge's side.

I walked for a couple minutes to get out of view of everyone. I saw my camp, everyone busy as normal. I decided to pick up some food before going out for a walk. I saw one of the other leaders on the way and nodded. I know the only reason everyone knew I was gone was because we're supposed to check in after the battles. I picked up a sack of food from the kitchen tent and walked off. It was getting late but I didn't care and I still wandered away from camp. It didn't feel like home, it never did. There was one place that did feel like home though, and that was wherever Ekon was.

Not knowing where I was going, I let my mind wander off. I wonder how Ekon is. She probably hasn't even thought of me since we split ways. She was beautiful, her long, dark hair, her chocolate eyes, all of her. Why did I promise to go see her? It's too dangerous for both of us. Does she even want to see me? I mean I would love to go see her....I...I mean she's super nice and she saved my life. "Just admit it to yourself, Jewel, you like her," I spoke out loud. Why do I do this to myself? She's is on the rival squad and she is a girl. No one would let us be together. At least not here. We could run away together....but who's to even say she likes me back. She probably doesn't. It's one thing to be nice but it's another to like them and she was probably just being nice. Ugh, I just want to be with her, even if it's just friends. I wish I could see her again. I finally looked up to where I was walking and saw a familiar tree. To my surprise and terror, however, there was someone standing there, watching me through the darkness.

••••••••••••••POV Change••••••••••••••

Ekon-

I woke up under the tree to the sound of someone approaching. I jumped up and hid in fear of being kidnapped again. The moon shed just enough light that allowed me to see the outline of the person as I peered out from around the tree. It was a girl, that's all I could see. Not knowing if she was a friendly or not, I stayed hidden. As soon as she looked up from walking and stopped she noticed me. We stared at each other for a moment, not knowing what to do. Without thinking, I step out from behind the tree and into the light with my hands up to show that I was unarmed.

"I'm unarmed..." I began to say before I got jumped on by the girl. As awkward as it may seem I recognized her touch. "Jewel?" "Yes, Ekon. It's me." I hugged her back. I felt so much better with her in my arms. After a while, we broke the hug and looked into each other's eyes. Suddenly Jewel broke down crying, leaning her face into my shoulder. "I'm sorry for what they did to you. I should've left before it came to that." she sobbed. I hugged her tight and said, "It's okay. All that matters to me is that you're safe. I'm all patched up now so we're good." "No, it's not. You were hurt because of me. I should've made you go back to camp and I should've been the who stayed.

I pulled her over to the tree and layed down in the grass, pulling her down with me. She rested her head on my arm, her body next to mine. I looked over at her, "You know it's not your fault they hurt me, I mean I did basically kidnap you." Jewel gave a soft smile, "I guess." She paused for a moment before asking a question, "How bad did they hurt you, if you don't mind me asking." I sat up and looked at her, "I'll show you, but under one condition, you have to stop blaming yourself for it. Deal?" "Deal."

Slowly I took off my jacket and shirt to reveal the bandaged wounds on my back and rolled up my pant leg to unveil my calf wound. "Honestly they probably broke a few ribs and my jaw is still sore but I couldn't stay in that medical tent any longer. I wanted to say, You were the only thing on my mind, but I didn't. I looked at her to see that her face was next to mine, her hand caressing my face. She put her forehead against mine and we stared into each other's eye for what seemed to be forever until it happened.