Chapter 5

"Whoa there Hero, calm down. It's okay. She's a friend." I started to say as I stood up but I immediately fell down in pain. Jewel tried to come to my aid but Hero growled "Stay the hell back, Pirate." while pointing the dart gun that he'd picked up at her chest. "But Ekon needs help! Can't you see that?" Jewel shot. "Yeah she needs help, but not from someone like you. She needs the help of a fellow hawk, not some Pirate that is suppose to be the enemy."

"What's that have to do with anything? This war has caused nothing but pain and suffering. Where people come from shouldn't matter anymore." I grunted. Jewel had slinked over towards me and helped me back up. I pushed her behind me so that I was between her and Hero. One of her hands held me at my waist while the other was at my shoulder. Her body was against my back in an attempt to support me as I tried to remain standing.I felt her warm breath on the back of my neck and I slowly relaxed. "Hero, it's okay. Don't you trust me?" He paused for a brief moment and lowered the gun, but Hero didn't drop it. "Yes I trust you...but not her!" He raised the gun again. "Then listen to me. She will be my responsibility. If she does anything wrong, blame it on me. Trust me, please."

Hero looked at me wearily, "Fine, but don't come running to me if she tries to kill you." I had never seen Hero look so mad at me before. It was almost like he was jealous. Of what though, and why? "Hurry up and get ready, we leave in twenty." With that, he walked out of the of my tent. Jewel half walked, half dragged me back to the cot and laid me down. "Are you okay?" I murmured. Jewel stared at me, "Are you serious? You're asking me if I am okay? You're the one who is hurt." "Ehhh, I'm fine. I just wanted to be reassured that you were fine." "Why? Why're you protecting me? I don't understand you."

"I don't know, okay? I just do." I started to think about that question more though. Why? Why am I doing this? I looked over at Jewel. "So do you wanna meet the rest of the gang?" I asked. "I guess...I mean their reactions can't be any worse than Hero's, but you have to get a walking stick first." she said looking at my random collection of large sticks. "Fine." I said as I reached out my hand for help.

After I got steady with a stick Jewel had deemed good enough to help me walk, I stepped out from my side of the curtain. "Wait here. I'll be right back." I said as I left her on my side of the tent. Hobbling over, I eventually made it to the twins part of the tent. "Hey Raine, Armor, come out here please." "Sure thing Ekon," came Armor's voice. "Just give us a sec." Raine finished. Even after spending four years together, I still found it crazy that they could finish each other's sentences without a pause.

It took about two minutes before the twins walked out. "What's up? Are you okay?" Armor asked glancing at my leg. "Yeah. I'm fine. Hey, can you guys make me a promise real quick?" They looked at each other and then back at me, faces full of suspicion and curiosity. "Uh...sure...what do you need?" asked Raine. "I need you to promise me that you won't flip out or try anything when I show you something, and I need you to support me on this." "...Okay?...We promise." the twins confirmed after having a silent conversation between themselves. "Okay, follow me."

I lead them back towards my space. Just before I opened my curtain I told the twins, "Remember your promise." Jewel was sitting on the bed. She had pulled out more of my school stuff from the chest. "Raine, Armor, this is Jewel. Jewel, this is Armor and his twin sister Raine. No killing each other please. I can't lose any more friends." "Who the hell is Jewel?" Armor questioned with some aggression in his voice. "Um..that my good friend is a long story." I stepped towards Jewel so that I was between her and the twins almost instinctively. "Might I ask, why is she here?" Raine added. Raine's voice was more calm than her brothers' was. "That is a good question. Do you want the smartass answer or the serious one." I replied. Raine had such a dark look on her face that I was like, "Okay then, serious answer it is then. I was out in my position when Jewel her and her partner walked past. Her partner was killed and I got this feeling that I couldn't let her die. So...I knocked her out and brought her here."

Both of the twins had a blank look on their faces and they seem utterly confused. "You kidnapped someone without me...how dare you. Haha." Armor finally said after a moment. Raine just stared at her brother and then back at me. "Okay...okay. So how do you know you can trust her?" Raine questioned. "That's the thing. I don't know, I just do. Gotta start somewhere right? Plus, I haven't been killed yet so that's a good sign." The twins shook their heads a gave a soft laugh. Armor then spoke without a second look to his twin, as if what he would had already been agreed on, "Okay Ekon. We can help keep her hidden and blended in if you want." "Really? Thanks guys. Y'all definitely responded better than Hero did. This means a lot to me." Raine got a look of realization on her face and said, "Ohhh, that's why Hero walked out all pissed off and stuff." "Yup."

......

Eventually we came up with a plan on how to keep Jewel hidden. I would get her clothes, she was roughly my height and the twins were taller than me, Raine would go find an old Montusko logo for her to carry in case she got stopped by a leader, and Armor would be the alibi to say she's always been around because he was well known at Montusko before the war. I mean so were the rest of us but Armor is bigger, stronger, and more intimidating. I looked over at Jewel and thought, Man, I really hope this works because she is amazing. I dug through my box looking for a decent pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket. I tossed her the clothes, "Here, this should fit." "Thanks."

Taking a look at Jewel as she slipped on my clothes I saw that there was one thing missing, a crucial part to keep hidden and stay unnoticed, a hat. I've always been reluctant to letting someone wear one of my hats but I was actually okay with letting Jewel have one. I looked through my hats and spotted my favorite one. It was black with the school logo on it. I had gotten it during my freshman soccer season. I took the hat and placed it on Jewel's head, "Now it's perfect." She blushed and I felt my face heat up hotter than the sun. I threw on another hat and we walked out to join the others. This plan might actually work out. I thought hopefully.