twenty two

They're resting in a field with its long grass tickling at their skin. The sun is shining down in such a way that Michael's vision takes on a warming glow, and Luke's melodic voice does nothing to help him shake the feeling that this is just a dream.

Michael's head is in Luke's lap; Luke's fingers are softly twisting through Michael's hair.

A blanket is tossed aside and momentarily forgotten. Remnants of their earlier meal are scattered upon it. It had been a tight fit to squeeze all four of them (plus the food) onto that ragged piece of cloth, but they somehow did it, all the while making it a picnic to remember.

Luke is now gazing off towards the tree line. His eyes glitter dramatically in the lighting. His lips hold the ghost of a smile. He appears to be suspended in a moment of pure bliss.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Michael says, peaking up at him in the most adoring of ways.

"It's nothing," Luke replies. The immediate blush that colors his cheeks tell of a different story, though.

"Oh come on," Michael chuckles playfully.

"Alright, alright. I was being cheesy and thinking about us."

Michael's heart flutters- no flaps uncontrollably- inside his chest. The idea that Luke could look that subconsciously happy in just thinking about him is almost inconceivable to him. Not long ago, he would have done anything for Luke to merely know his name- and now to have Luke this physically close is something short of a miracle. How did they even get here?

"And what about us?" Michael presses.

Luke focuses down on him. There's something there, twinkling brightly in his eyes. Michael holds his breath while returning his gaze. "Well, I really really like you and I really really like spending this time with you," Luke says.

Michael swears his heart swells to twice its normal size. He's about to respond, but Luke doesn't appear to be finished.

Biting at his lip, Luke takes a deep breath. Right as he's about to continue, there's a loud shout. Luke sighs in irritation at the interruption.

Both boys direct their attention over to the commotion coming from the playground across the field.

"WHAT THE HELL," Calum is yelling from the bottom of a particularly long slide. There's a pout on his lips as he stares up at the top where Ashton is standing and grinning victoriously.

"Hey there's children here!" Michael yells to them. His scold falls short though since he, too, is laughing at the scene.

"But he pushed me!" Calum whines.

Ashton erupts into a fit of giggles, clutching at the plastic playground equipment. He attempts multiple times to defend himself, but every time he finally catches his breath he lapses into more.

"He's still laughing at me. Do something!" Calum cries loudly. Despite all this whining, he looks like he's holding back a smile.

"What do you want me to do?" Michael asks.

"Tell him to stop!"

It takes everything in Michael to pull a serious face and yell, "Ashton, stop laughing at your boyfriend."

Calum calls out a thank you, which is followed by some serious threats directed towards Ashton. There's some giggling, a little name calling, and then some not-so-subtle kissing in the middle of the slide.

"I've never met such immature brats," Michael mutters, earning a chuckle from Luke. "Please tell me we're not that bad."

"Not even close," Luke replies.

"Good. So where were we?"

Luke's smile falters slightly. The look that crosses his face can only be described as nervous.

"I'll start by saying that you make me so happy."

Warmth spreads throughout Michael's cheeks, his stomach, his chest. He waits with baited breath for Luke's next words.

"I can't imagine being with anyone else right now and Michael Clifford, will you be my boyfriend?" Luke asks cautiously. He watches Michael's reaction closely, unreasonably terrified of what his answer could be.

Michael is actually caught off guard by the sudden question. He blinks rapidly to see if it's a dream, but every time his eyes reopen Luke is still staring down at him with the same patient expression.

Then the full force of what he said slams into Michael. Luke wants to be his boyfriend. He wants to be his and only his.

"Fuck yes," Michael says once he finds his voice.

Relief and happiness flood Luke's eyes.

Then Michael's sitting up and they're kissing, kissing, kissing. All he can feel is Luke- his arms around him, his lips on his. The warmth has spread to his fingertips and toes; every cell of his being are buzzing with it.

He doesn't know what to think, or if he can even think. He just knows that all of his dreams have just come true.

Their kiss ends up taking them down into the grass, which pokes at their cheeks as they press against each other. They roll around a bit, laughing all the while, but always reconnecting their lips at every chance.

In the background, Michael can faintly hear Calum yelling something to them about there being children here. He ignores him and kisses Luke harder.

When Michael was told this morning that he was going on another double date, he never imagined it would end like this. It never even crossed his mind that what started as a cute picnic would result in him making out in a field with his new boyfriend. Never.

Now, as Luke is winding his fingers through the hair at the base of his neck, Michael is enveloped in such a massive feeling of love that it literally takes his breath away.

Michael pulls back, gasping, and heart beating harder than it ever has before. He gazes upon his boyfriend and is hit yet again with the thought that none of this is real. It's all too warm, too bright, too beautiful, too perfect.

"I love you," Michael whispers, the air brushing lightly against Luke's lips.

And then Luke does an amazing thing.

"I love you too."

A/N: I don't even have an excuse for why it took so long to update. I'm so sorry. It probably doesn't help that I then went and updated with the shortest chapter ever. Anyways I was rereading my story and I honestly don't know why you guys have stuck around. (Did you see how many times I used the word mate at the beginning??) This story has mostly been written at 2 am and all of it was done in the notes section of my iPhone. Like I'm not proud of it but I am so so so so so grateful for you guys. Whether you've been around since the first chapter or just ten minutes ago- it means the world to me. Those who comment or message me make me happier than I'll ever be able to say. I love you all a fucking lot.

Two chapters left.