four

Day three is drawing to a close and Michael's definitely feeling all of today's hard work settling on him, weighing him down. Calum, to his disbelief, is still right beside him helping. The two make a very effective team and there's no denying it.

Ashton routinely checks up on them. A few brief yet intimidating words are exchanged, but it does nothing to phase them.

The sheet of paper slowly becomes more and more marked up, hasty lines etched over its words. When the final task is crossed out, it is done so with celebration. The two break into a few whoops and laughter.

"We're done," Michael sighs, a smile playing across his lips.

Calum smiles in return. "Finally."

Their bodies crash into the bed, exhaustion winning out yet again. Now that the excitement has dissipated, they want nothing more than to just lay there.

"Hey so what time is the witch coming back tomorrow?" Calum asks after a moment of silence.

"Oh she texted me today about that, hold on.." Michael fishes through his pocket and pulls out his phone. It's a couple seconds later when he reads, "My flight was pushed back. I should be home around midnight tomorrow. Be ready."

Calum rolls his eyes at the last part, but then perks up once he comprehends the rest. "Hey this definitely gives us time to go to the party! You just have to be home by midnight!"

The dark-haired boy is sitting up and beaming, all previous exhaustion forgotten.

"Yeah but.."

"Stop, you're not getting out of this. You're going to talk to Luke."

Michael's eyes stay trained on the ceiling, widening at his friend's words. He gulps down the lump of fear that's formed in his throat. Just thinking about having Luke's voice directed towards him brings back the familiar nausea.

"Don't look like that. You'll be fine," Calum assures him.

"I- who even throws a party on a Sunday night anyways?" He asks in a desperate attempt at changing the subject.

"It's Summer. It doesn't matter what day it is. And his dad's only out of town until Tuesday morning, so to answer your question Luke Hemmings throws a party on a Sunday."

Michael groans at his friend. "Stop being such a smart ass."

"Never." The short reply makes Michael chuckle.

Not much else is said after that; there's no need. A comfortable quiet falls over them and neither of them tries to break it this time.

Eventually, Michael hears Calum's breathing even out. A quick glance over at him confirms that he has indeed fallen asleep. The day's hard work must have really taken its toll on him.

Michael slowly gets up from his bed, careful not to wake his tired friend. He tip toes gently across his chilly, wooden floor. He's not sure where he's going, he just can't lay still any more. A sudden fidgety feeling has overcome him.

He makes his way down the steps, into the unlit living room. The newly risen moon illuminates the room and brings out the shadows. It's quiet; it's perfect.

Michael tries his best not to break the hushed atmosphere as he enters the kitchen. He fills a cup with water and takes long, satisfying sips.

He's so captivated by the calm that has settled outside the window that he doesn't hear the footsteps.

Ashton's voice shatters the aura and causes Michael's heart to nearly jump out his throat. "Hey."

Michael whirls around to face his step brother. "Hi.." he says once he gets his racing heart under control.

"What are you up to?" Ashton sounds like he's genuinely trying to make conversation, yet Michael can't help but regard him with suspicion.

"Nothing."

"Oh."

For a moment, the two are plunged back into the silence that Michael so craves.

Until Ashton ruins it again, that is. "So you finished your chores?"

"Yeah," Michael replies shortly.

The two stay across the room from each other. The moon casts it's shadows upon their faces, too, yet neither makes a move to turn on a light. The whole situation screams awkward.

"What are you doing tomorrow then?" Ashton questions.

Michael stares hard at the older boy, trying to figure him out. There must be some kind of motive behind this; the two never have casual conversations like this. He feels Ashton's eyes on him and remembers that he was asked a question. "I uh I dunno. She said it was up to you if I'm allowed to leave or not.."

Ashton nods slowly. "Well I'll be at a party tomorrow night so I guess I'll have no way of knowing whether you leave or not."

Well that sounds like as much of an invitation as any.

Michael can feel a smile forming, but then the rest of what Ashton said catches up with him. "A party tomorrow?" he chokes.

Ashton simply grins at him. "Yup."

"Um may I ask whose?" Michael asks, growing nervous.

"That mayor's son, Luke Hemmings. I hear it's going to be the party of the year."

Michael's knees are shaking slightly from the mention of his name. Flashes of blue eyes rush through his mind and all he can do is squeak, "Luke?"

"Yeah, the tall kid with the lip ring from school. You've probably seen him around; he's quite a looker. I think I'm gonna talk to him tomorrow.."

Ashton babbles on, oblivious to the pounding in Michael's head right now. Michael's world is spinning out of control. Tomorrow is his chance, not Ashton's. He is going to win over Luke, not Ashton. His pent up frustration grows and grows until he blurts out, "You can't talk to him!"

Ashton immediately shuts up, caught off guard. Then he asks lowly, as if giving Michael a chance to change what he said, "what?"

Boldly stepping forward, Michael asserts himself. "I said don't fucking talk to that boy."

The two glare at each other, the space between them buzzing with hostility.

"And why shouldn't I?"

"Because you just can't." Michael's panicking, searching desperately for a valid point, but comes up empty. He can't let Ashton and Luke meet. Ashton's talented, friendly, and much more attractive than him. He'll sweep him up in an instant.

Ashton's glare hardens. "You know what, never mind what I said earlier. Don't even think about leaving the house tomorrow," he spits before turning away.

And there's the lovely boy Michael knows.

Michael sighs heavily and exits the now empty kitchen, no longer intrigued by the motionless world outside. He returns to his room where he pulls out his notebook. The moonlight proves to be sufficient enough lighting as Michael pours his emotions into writing. The only sounds in the room are Calum's quiet snores and the scratching of his pencil. A poem of a different kind is created this time, one of anger and darkness.

A/N: IM SORRY DONT HATE ME I LOVE ASHTON TO PIECES BUT SOMEONE HAD TO BE THE EVIL STEP SISTER. And just to clarify, I don't ship any of the boys romantically in real life, I just don't really like het fanfics. I promise it'll pick up in the next chapter, so thanks for sticking around.