fourteen

So maybe Ashton and Calum's plan was terrible and full of holes and stupidity. And maybe Michael couldn't talk them out of it. So now maybe Michael's standing on Luke's doorstep with his finger hovering over the doorbell. Just maybe.

It had been early that morning when the two had come into Michael's room, telling him to make himself presentable. At first they had been coy about their plans, but they quickly gave in and told him where they were taking him. Michael put up a valiant fight, begging them to see reason- there was no way this could work. It was no more than twenty minutes later and he was being dragged out to the car.

When they reached Luke's house, they not-so-gently pushed him out and towards the door. Excited grins were thrown his way before they drove off. This left Michael no choice but to go up to the house.

Luke's house, considering he is the mayor's son, is in other words a mansion. And without the teenagers and beer cans everywhere, it looks even bigger than he remembers. It only adds to this situation's intimidation.

Gathering all of his courage, Michael rings the doorbell. He can faintly hear it's ding echoing through the house.

The door opens a few seconds later and Michael panics. He thought he'd have a little bit more time here to prepare himself, but no: standing before him now is a certain blonde haired boy.

"What do you want?" Luke practically sneers. He's holding the door warily, as if prepping himself to slam it in his face.

"I uh.. I want to talk," Michael says, concentrating on not stuttering.

Luke shifts his weight back and forth between his feet. "Um okay.."

Michael glances back over his shoulder for help, but the car that dropped him off is no where in sight. He then awkwardly looks to Luke in hopes that he'll invite him in to sit. That unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case either.

"Well I'll start by saying how sorry I am."

Luke rolls his eyes. "Yeah, you already-"

Michael hurriedly interrupts him. His nerves are back and worse than ever. "No I didn't tell you. And I don't think I'll ever be able to tell you enough. I've never been more sorry about anything in my whole life. It's been eating me alive- like it actually hurts to breathe right now." He finishes and gasps for air, emphasizing his point.

After quite a bit of consideration, Luke finally backs away from the doorway. "Why don't you come in."

Relief surges through Michael. He steps carefully into the house and freezes in the entryway. It's huge. He's never seen it in this lighting or cleanliness. It's stark white walls add an aura of elegance, one that Michael stands out harshly in in his old band tee. He simply stares for a while, soaking it in and looking for pieces of Luke throughout.

"You coming?"

Michael snaps out of it and quickly follows Luke to the couch. He makes sure to distance himself from him when they take their seats.

"So why don't you explain to me what happened? Your side of it," Luke says, looking at him cynically.

"Well.. I've sorta.. Shit I've had this crush on you for a while now okay. And it's huge and pathetic and it sucks." Surprise flashes through Luke's eyes. Michael continues onward. "I went to your party in hopes of meeting you. I did, but you obviously don't remember that. You were sick a bit and I stayed with you. And you see, I kinda turn to writing for everything. So that's what I did that night, I expressed my feelings in a poem that was never meant to be read. I was in a rush and I forgot it. Oh and I should also explain that Ashton came for you too. And so when he saw the chance to win you over, he took it."

Luke plunges deep into thought. "So he made you write those other poems, too? Why would you let him do that?"

Michael avoids eye contact as he mumbles, "things are a bit complicated at home. I didn't have much of a choice."

He hadn't mean to sugarcoat Ashton's role so much, but after all that he's done recently he figures it was fine.

Nothing is said for a long while. Michael picks at his fingernails and shakes his legs out of habit. The suspense isn't helping his nerves at all.

Without meaning to, Michael whispers, "please." His eyes grow wide as he tries to pluck the single word back out of the air.

Luke's head snaps up. "What?"

"Please forgive me. I never wanted any of this to happen. I wanted to tell you it was me the second I saw your tweets, I swear it. The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you. Please."

With eyes swimming in confusion, Luke stares at the boy. "I don't.. Michael I don't know what to think right now."

Michael nods solemnly. "I understand."

"There's just a lot about this that doesn't make sense to me and I don't know how I'm supposed to react. I mean this guy I was kinda into turned out to be a huge fucking fake. What am I supposed to do?" Luke says rhetorically.

"We could egg his car." Michael suddenly blurts.

"What?" Luke asks again.

"Well I would say egg his house, but that'd be my house too and I'd be the one stuck cleaning it up. I think this would be good for you, though." Michael shrugs.

Luke stares at him incredulously. He can't be serious.

A few moments pass and Luke realizes that Michael's not joking. He then releases a low chuckle and shakes his head.

Michael stands up with growing confidence. "Come on we both have some anger towards Ashton we need to let out."

"But won't we get caught?"

"Nah. My stepmom's out and Ashton was last seen driving away in Calum's car so we're good."

Luke bites at his lip ring, weighing out the pros and cons. Michael looks down at him expectantly. As a final effort, he pulls a puppy dog face.

"Fine. Fine. Fine," Luke snaps, starting to smile.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" Michael grins.

"Possibly. Ask me again when we're done vandalizing your step brother's car."

A/N: okay I realize that could have sounded really stupid but just wait until next chapter okay

NEW A/N: AND I WROTE THIS BEFORE I READ TFIOS I SWEAR IT ON MY LIFE