nineteen

This kiss isn't a very long one either. The one after, though, exceeds all previous passion. Every kiss they share from then on grows in depth, their arms entangling and their tongues intertwining.

These moments take place in the privacy of their homes, nestled upon beds and couches. Michael and Luke are slowly becoming michaelandluke. It's a relationship that's emerged suddenly and dramatically. Everyone watches on in awe at the budding romance.

When it's time for their first official date, Michael is a mess of nerves up in his room. He constantly paws at his hair and fidgets with his dress shirt. His attire feels far too tight, but he was told by Luke to dress nice for this date. They're going some place fancy he was told, and the thought makes his skin crawl. He doesn't know how to act in an upperclass setting whereas Luke has grown up among the prestigious. There's no way Michael will be able to fit into Luke's lifestyle.

He's in the middle of redoing his collar for the fourth time when there's a small knocking from the door. Ashton pokes his head in with a soft "hey."

Michael doesn't respond. Instead, he begins pacing back and forth before the mirror, tugging at the ends of his mangled hair.

"Hey, hey, calm down," Ashton coos. He comes to rest upon the bed and motions for his step brother to join him there. For a moment, Michael simply stares at him, and then decides to sit beside him.

They sit face to face, Ashton searching for the right words to comfort him with. When he fails to find them, he lamely says, "you have nothing to be worried about."

"You can't possibly believe that," Michael huffs.

"I can and I do."

"You don't understand. This is the first date just the two of us are going on!" Michael whines.

"But you've hung out alone before, this'll be the same thing," Ashton tries to reassure.

"No it won't. We're going some place fancy and I'm going to be surrounded by fancy people and I don't know how to fucking be fancy and Luke will see that I don't fit into his fancy life," Michael gushes, spitting out the word "fancy" like its acidic.

"Don't be ridiculous. Can't you see how much he likes you? He's not going to give a damn if you 'fit in' or not."

"But-"

Ashton gives him a look that causes the protest to fade right on his lips. Perhaps he is right, but that doesn't entirely ease his nerves.

"You'll be okay," Ashton says. Michael nods slowly in agreement. Ashton smiles at him and continues, "Good. So I should probably tell you now that Luke is waiting downstairs."

Michael's eyes bulge out and every once of calmness he had just gathered begins to slip away. Ashton sees the panic spreading across his face, so he reaches out to him. With gently touches, he smooths out Michael's hair and pats him on the back. "You'll be okay," he reminds.

It takes a bit, but Michael finally convinces himself to get to his feet. He heads downstairs, thanking Ashton sincerely before exiting the room.

As promised, Luke is leaning against the wall in the entryway downstairs. The smile that spreads across his face when he sees Michael is enough to light up the whole room. There's a cascade of butterfly wings in Michael's stomach. Luke looks absolutely flawless, wearing a black blazer and skinny jeans. His hair is styled upwards without a single strand out of place. His skin and eyes are both glowing, and god Michael's never seen a more gorgeous human being.

Michael stands on the bottom step with his mouth slightly open. The air and words have been stolen right from him. Luckily, Ashton comes up behind him.