five

Adrenaline and nerves are buzzing through Michael's core as they pull up to the mayor's house, which in reality is much closer to a mansion. His fingers are drumming against the dashboard and the knot in his stomach is rapidly expanding.

Calum notices his friend's nervous state and pats him lightly on the back. "You'll be fine," he says, flashing his notorious grin as a form of reassurance.

Michael nods once, not entirely convinced.

And with that, the two hop out of the car, Michael stepping out much slower than the other. It's not like he's not excited, it's just that this could be his only chance. He might never have a moment to speak to Luke again, and knowing himself, he'll find a way to screw this up.

Each step towards the door adds to the suspense. Teenagers are already everywhere outside, solo cups in hand. They're laughing loudly and chatting while all Michael wants to do is throw up to relieve the nausea.

When they finally reach the door, Calum pulls Michael aside with a very giddy expression on his face. "Don't look so sick; you got this. Now I'll go find Ashton and you find Luke. Good luck!"

Michael's brain is slow to process the pep talk he was just given and before he knows it, he's being shoved into a crowd of short dresses and beer cans.

Panic briefly takes ahold of him, but he pushes it back with all his might. Breathe in. Breathe out. Find Luke.

He allows himself a drink as he passes by the kitchen, pouring a glass of who-knows-what and downing it. It's numbing effects that begin to seep through him a few minutes later come as a relief.

The music is thrumming through his veins. People are moving their bodies to it, bumping into him left and right. He strikes up a few random conversations, but for the most part he's constantly searching for the familiar blonde quiff. He makes lap after lap around the house with no luck. Luke seems like he's no where to be found.

After a couple hours and his third drink, Ashton's obnoxious giggle rips him out of his search. Michael slips into a hallway just in time to watch his stepbrother pass by with Calum following closely behind. The two seem to be deep in conversation, and Michael makes a mental note to thank Cal later.

He slumps against the wall, tired and bored. He's almost been caught numerous times tonight and so far his plan has come up empty handed.

He's so close to giving up and returning home when he hears a voice that sends him soaring.

"Hey there!"

Michael can't turn his head fast enough and suddenly he's plunged into endless, blue eyes. A gasp is caught in his throat as he takes in a drunk, grinning Luke.

Luke's body collapses against the wall beside Michael. He shakes with small hiccups and giggles.

"Um.. hi." Michael's voice quivers with anxiousness.

Luke takes a while to respond again, his focus straying back and forth across the ceiling before settling on Michael. A lazy smile is plastered on his face as he slurs, "Are you enjoying my party?"

Michael is beginning to second guess his plan, considering Luke is drunk out of his mind. He still replies politely, though, "of course."

"That's.. that's good." Luke's sentence is interrupted by a series of hiccups and Michael can't help but chuckle at his disheveled state.

"How much have you had to drink?" Michael asks with amusement. The fact that Luke probably won't remember this in the morning causes most of his nerves to dissipate.