twenty

For two whole weeks, the boys are surrounded by an aura of perfection. It's a feeling of happiness that goes down to their very cores. There're constant smiles around the house, and there's a general positivity buzzing in the air.

Luke and Michael aren't anything official yet, but from the sappy conversations and insistent touches, they might as well be. They continue going on dates, parading around town with their hands clasped together.

Calum and Ashton, on the other hand, are exclusive. They enjoy throwing around the word "boyfriend" whenever possible. Those around them would be annoyed with it all, if it weren't for the obvious fondness behind the word.

Michael's bubble is popped one particular morning, though.

He's on his way to the kitchen for cereal when his stepmother blocks his path. There's a rather blank expression on her face, but beneath it he knows something is stirring.

"Excuse me," he says, carefully attempting to get around her.

She disregards his attempt. "I haven't seen you around much lately," she says in a dangerous tone.

"Um.. Yeah I've been hanging out with people.."

"I'm not stupid, Michael. I know who you've been with," she snaps. "And I hope you know I'm not pleased with how things have turned out."

"As in you just don't like seeing me happy..?" He quickly defends.

Her eyes narrow. "No, but I need your help around the house still. You're always off with that boy and neglecting your duties."

Michael crosses his arms in defiance. "I've been getting all my chores-"

"I don't want to hear it!" She cuts him off.

"No, you will listen! This is bullshit. I've been getting my chores done and you know it!" Michael raises his voice. Anger is flaring in his chest to the point where he knows he won't be able to contain it.

"Don't you swear at me. And tell me, do you honestly think you're good enough for Luke?"

And right there, Michael completely deflates. His anger is drained until he's left with nothing but a strange feeling of doubt. He can't be mad at her for this one because it's the very fear that's been plaguing him for the last month. The truth rings loudly in his ears.

"I-" he tries to argue back but the words get caught in his throat.

A devilish smirk crosses her face. She knows she's hit him hard.

"Think about it, he's the mayor's son. He's rich, gorgeous, and everything you're not. It's foolish of you to think you could ever-"

"That's enough!" Ashton yells.

Michael's too busy trying to bat away her words to even turn to look at him. Ashton, he assumes, is standing behind him, his face glaringly red. Michael would love to send him a thanks, but he can't. Tears are prickling at his eyes and it takes everything in him to hold them back.

"This is none of your concern," she tells Ashton.

"He's my little brother, of course this is my concern! And I won't have you treating him like that," Ashton warns, stepping up beside them.

Harsh looks are shot both ways and for once, their stepmother is the one to back down. "Fine."

She spins on her heals and storms away.

"Thanks," Michael mutters, finally recovering his voice.

"Any time," Ashton replies softly. He stares at him with worry-filled eyes. "Are you okay?"

Michael can only nod.

Ashton pulls him in for a quick hug. "Well Calum's waiting for me. Call if you need anything, okay?"

Another nod.

With that, Ashton leaves, along with his sense of protection. Michael feels utterly vulnerable now. He folds his arms around himself- he'll have to be his own armor.

As he wanders towards the kitchen, Michael wonders how the hell he's come to count on his stepbrother. This friendship that's been forged is extremely foreign to him, but he's ever so grateful. He can't imagine what he'd do without him.

As his thoughts are growing slightly less cold, his stepmom calls to him that Luke's here. A smile is instantly on his face.

"Can you tell him I'll be right down?" Michael asks her without thinking.

He races upstairs to get ready. He'll have to skip the cereal, he guesses.

He's brushing his teeth, encompassed in the bliss that comes with Luke's presence, when the bathroom door closes behind him. He's too slow to react. By the time he's prying at the door handle, it's already secured. He can feel the pressure on the other side, keeping the handle from turning, and trapping him inside.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He yells. He pounds desperately against the door.

When he hears the front door open beneath him, her plan becomes apparent to him.

"Hello," he faintly hears his stepmom greet.

"Luke!" He yells louder. His fists slam into the wood of the door so hard they ache.

"Where's Michael?" He can hear Luke ask.

"He's upstairs in his room," she lies effortlessly.

"Luke, don't fucking listen to her!" Michael's shouts are grating against his throat. How does Luke not hear him?

"He wanted to say this himself, but he got freaked out at the last second, so he asked me to," she continues.

What Luke says next evades Michael's ears. His yells are turning into sobs. He did not come all this way just to have his stepmother tear it all to shreds.

Michael pats down all his pockets, searching for his phone. He doesn't have it on him. He has no way of contacting Luke.

He throws himself against the door in despair, but it doesn't budge. Whatever she did out there, it was meant to hold him.

"You're lying!" Luke's voice suddenly carries up to him, strained and shocked.

"I wish I was," his stepmom replies with fake sympathy.

"No, Michael wouldn't do this, there's no way."

"Sweetie, you must not know Michael very well then."

"Why wouldn't he tell me face to face then? Am I not even worth that?" The pain in Luke's voice stabs at Michael.

Michael falls limp against the door, the fight having left him completely. He sits there, drowning in his own defeat. Tears leave trails down his cheeks and he does nothing to stop them.

The front door slams shut and he flinches. Luke's gone. Whatever ridiculous story she fed him, he somehow bought.

Now Luke's probably driving away, his gorgeous blue eyes swimming in his own tears. He's going to hate him unless he can get ahold of him right now. From his position in the bathroom, though, it doesn't look like he's going to get to him any time soon.

Both boys dwell in heartbreak alone in their homes that day.

Michael isn't released from his prison until far later. By then, numbness has overtaken his body and brain.

He tries calling Luke that night, over and over, begging him to just pick up so that he can explain. Luke ignores him though. Each and every time.

His stepmom looks very pleased with herself. She must have been far more convincing than Michael had thought.

"It was for the best," she tells him.

She uses that excuse while taking Michael's phone, too. He's sent to his room, all hopes of contacting Luke gone, and wondering how anyone could be this cruel.