Chapter 33: Four-Eyed Blueberry

School was starting up again at the orphanage. It was a very anticipated moment in many little ones' lives. Even though the older kids have their opinions on school, the younger kids viewed school as something that was very fun. This was very true for a very smart, little, blue-haired girl.

Elaina couldn't wait to go to school, even if that school was still in the orphanage and taught by the orphanage tutor: Mrs. Anderson. All the kindergarteners were lined up against the wall, getting ready to enter the classroom for the first time. Cayla stood next to Elaina as she, too, was excited for her first day of kindergarten.

As they waited in line, the orphanage's first-grade class passed them. Elaina and Cayla waved to Brelyn and Jacey, who waved back at their best friends.

"I wish we were in the same class as Brelyn and Jacey," Cayla said. "It's not our fault we were born a year later."

"You wanna know what I heard?" Elaina asked. Cayla directed her attention to her. "I heard that kids can skip a grade if they're really, really smart."

"Really?" Cayla asked in shock.

"Yep," Elaina said happily. "So if we work really hard, we can be in the same class as Brelyn and Jacey."

"Okay, class," Mrs. Anderson said as she approached the group of kindergarteners. "Are we ready for this year?"

"Yeah!" the group of four and five-year-olds cheered. Mrs. Anderson guided the children into the classroom. There were tables with about four to five chairs each. The kids scattered as they took their seats.

"Okay, class," Mrs. Anderson began, "since it is the first day of school, we are going to introduce ourselves. Even though you all should know each other since you've been living together for so long. We are going to say our name, age, and favorite color."

The class went in a circle until it was Cayla's turn. "M-My name is Cayla, I-I'm five years old, a-and my favorite color is red."

After Cayla, it was Elaina's turn. "My name is Elaina, I'm five years old, and my favorite color is blue."

"Like your hair?" One kid asked.

"Y-Yes," Elaina said, starting to play with her deep, blue hair.

"More like a blueberry," one kid said while laughing. The class started laughing as well. Well, except for Elaina, who had a frown growing upon her face.

"Okay, class, that's enough," Mrs. Anderson said.

Elaina sat back down in her seat. "Don't listen to them," Cayla whispered. "You don't look like a blueberry."

Elaina nodded. However, she looked down at her outfit, and she was wearing a blue dress with black flats that had blue accents on them. She literally was blue head to toe.

A couple of days had passed, and something wasn't adding up. Elaina wasn't keeping up with some of the other kids, which was weird since Elaina was definitely one of the smartest girls in the orphanage. She was smarter than some first graders and even come second graders.

"Elaina," Mrs. Anderson called as the class started to leave after class was over. "Can you stay please?"

"Am I in trouble?" Elaina asked, fear starting to build in her.

"No sweetie," Mrs. Anderson said. "I just wanted to see something. Come here," she said, guiding Elaina up to the board. "How do you spell cat?"

"C-A-T."

"How do you spell dog?"

"D-O-G."

"What is 2 plus 2?"