Chapter 28: We'll Get Through This Together

The group was having another get together at the castle. They laughed and smiled as they reminisce over their past. "Hey, remember how long it took Carlos to finally ask Jane out?" Jay asked.

"Um, excuse me?" Carlos asked.

"Do you guys remember that one day?" Mal asked. "You know, when he was all like, 'Did you like the carrot cake last night?'"

"Wasn't that the same day Mal ran off to the Isle?" Ben asked.

"Was it?" Mal asked. "I honestly can't remember," Mal teased.

"Anyway," Lonnie said, changing the subject. "Evie, Doug, did you guys find out the gender yet? I mean, you should be far enough along."

"We decided not to know the gender right now," Evie said. Doug put his arm around her as emotional support. "We'll be waiting till he or she is born."

The others nodded, understanding where the couple was coming from. "I'm guessing it's to avoid emotional attachment?" Mal asked.

Evie nodded. "But, since you guys know me so well, I'm already very much attached to it already." The others chuckled in response.

"You've been pretty quiet," Audrey said to Jane. Jane finally looked up after being caught in a daze for a little bit. "Is there something going on?"

The others noticed Carlos tensed up a little when Audrey finally brought up Jane's behavior and how it was off. The entire group's attention was now on Carlos and Jane.

Jane looked up to Carlos. "Should we tell them now?"

"I kind of feel like we have no other choice at this point," Carlos responded. Jane and Carlos turned to the others. Carlos was the one to speak up. "Well, um, you see-"

"Jane's pregnant," Evie said.

"How'd you know?" Jane asked with a shocked expression.

"Wait, really?" Mal asked, finally getting caught up to speed after the initial shock. Jane and Carlos nodded.

"I've been seeing the way Jane has been acting," Evie said. "It was almost how I was when I found out I was pregnant."

Jane and Evie smile at each other. Even though they hadn't really talked about it, both knew that they were in the same boat. Everyone continued to talk for a few more hours.

After everything was said and done, Carlos, Jane, Evie, and Doug had their own little conversation just outside the castle before they were about to leave.

"Do you guys plan on finding out the gender?" Doug asked.

Jane nodded. "We already have a name picked out for a girl, but if we end up having a boy, we want to be prepared once the day comes." Jane is quiet for a bit before turning to Evie. "Have you found that not knowing the gender is making the, you know, easier?"

Evie shrugged her shoulders. "I'm honestly not sure. For all I know, it could just double my attachment to him or her once they're born. You should do what feels right for you." Jane nods in response.

"Who knew we'd be in the same boat at the same time," Carlos added. They all nod in agreement.

"Well, Mal and Lonnie were pregnant at the same time. It sort of makes sense that Evie and Jane are," Doug said.

"Hey," Carlos began. "I...I know things aren't exactly looking great for us, but I know everything will be alright. I know we haven't talked about it, but we all know what is going to happen to these babies. We know we will eventually be giving them up. But I know we can make it."

"How?" Evie asked. "Do you not remember how broken I was after my miscarriage?"

"We'll get through it how we get through everything."

"Which is?" Jane asked.

"Together."

Short chapter. I know, I know. XD.