Chapter 20: Baby Jacey

A few weeks after Brelyn's presentation, things began to quiet down. Everyone went back to their everyday lives. Things didn't seem to be picking up anytime soon. Well, maybe one more thing was going to happen that would make everything in a fast pace life.

Jay had walked into the kitchen where he saw Lonnie. Concern grew on his face as he saw Lonnie gripping the kitchen counter with one hand and her stomach with the other. She was taking deep breaths, and she seemed to be distracted and not notice Jay walk into the room.

"Lonnie, are you alright?" Jay asked with worry in his voice as he went to Lonnie's side.

Lonnie's eyes snapped up as she now knew he was there. "Um," she began, "I...I'm alright."

"Are you sure?" Jay asked. Lonnie nodded. "Was that a contraction?"

"It was just a Braxton Hick contraction," Lonnie replied. "It's nothing to worry too much about."

"You've been having those a lot lately," Jay said. "And don't forget what the doctor said. If they get stronger and more frequent, that means you could be going into labor."

"I know, I know," Lonnie said. "Don't worry, Jay. I'm fine."

"I know you're fine. I just want to make sure she's fine," Jay said, putting his hand on Lonnie's enlarged stomach.

Lonnie placed her hand on top of Jay's. She looked up and smiled at him. "She will be. I can still feel her moving and kicking around in here. Don't worry, Jay. She'll be fine. I'm sure of it."

Jay leaned in and kissed Lonnie. "You should still rest more."

"I will. I just need to empty the dishwasher, and I'll rest for the rest of the day," Lonnie said.

"Alright," Jay chuckled. "Just call me if anything happens."

"Okay." Lonnie replied. As Jay walked away, another pain stroke Lonnie. Lonnie clutched her stomach as she did before. She looked towards where Jay had walked to make sure he wasn't looking. Lucky for her, he wasn't. "Come on, baby girl," Lonnie whispered. "Calm down in there."

A few minutes had passed, and Jay was in the small office that Lonnie and him had in their house. He was planning for his classes for the next week. Even PE coaches needed to plan out what they were going to do with their students. Jay then heard Lonnie groaning in pain. "Lonnie, you alright?" he called.

"Y-Yeah," Lonnie replied.

Suddenly, Jay heard what sounded like Lonnie falling and a plate crashing on the ground. "Lonnie? Lonnie!" Jay yelled as he made his way to the kitchen. "Lonnie?"

"Down here," Lonnie groaned.

When Jay turned the corner, he saw Lonnie on her hands and knees, trying to breathe out some pain. "What happened?" Jay asked, trying to stay calm as he bent down.

"Well, I was putting the dishes away and -" Lonnie was interrupted as another pain shot through her body.

"These are definitely contractions, aren't they?" Jay asked. "Braxton Hicks aren't supposed to be this painful for you." It was then that Jay saw it. There was a small puddle of water right under Lonnie. Jay's eyes opened wide. "Did your water break?"

Lonnie nodded. "I've been having contractions all morning, and after you left me alone, they became stronger," Lonnie said. "Jay, I think it's time."

"Alright," Jay said. "You wait right here, and I'll get the hospital bag from the baby's room."

"The baby's room!" Lonnie yelled. "That's not even done yet! What are we gonna do when we bring her home?"

"Don't worry about that right now," Jay said. "We'll figure it out later." Jay rushed upstairs until he reached their daughter's room. They had packed the hospital bag just a couple weeks prior just in case she decided to make her arrival any earlier. Before leaving, Jay looked at the unfinished nursery one last time. "Can't wait to meet you, baby girl," he said right before leaving. "Alright, let's get out of here," Jay said as he help Lonnie off the ground.