Chapter 48: What's your destination?

28th July, 2018

  "Charity does not decrease wealth. No one forgives, but Allaah increases him in honour, and no one humbles himself before Allaah but Allaah raises him in status." 

[Muslim] 

Chapter 48:

What's your destination?

When Anabya stepped in the grand haveli, she was met with a five year old in action as he pulled the trigger of his gun, a stream of water emerging out, targeted at Shamaaz. The startled guy looked on as water dripped from his face and trickled down his chest.

"Faiz," he groaned, staring at the culprit as his mum hurriedly passed on a napkin to her guest, apologizing on her son's behalf.

"That's for not taking me with you to the World Cup," he justified, hands on his hips.

Oh, let's have a round two in my name, then, Anabya thought to herself.

Without notice, Shamaaz lunged forward and carried the little boy, turning him upside down as he dipped him in air, while Faiz screamed and giggled.

"Chachu, put me down!" He laughed, and Shamaaz swayed him further, and turning to Anabya, Faiz's young grandmother, Nahida said,

"Come, my dear, freshen up and join us for lunch, this Chachu and nephew are always like this, nothing new."

Anabya smiled in reply and followed them inside, marveling the picturesque vintage touch of the entire haveli. From the rosewood sofas, to the corner tables and age old grandfather clock, from the little courtyard in the middle overlooking the sky to royal curtains and antique chandeliers, the haveli screamed simplicity tinged with the age old pride of culture in its architecture and design.

Admiring the details, by the time Anabya returned after freshening up to join them for lunch, she felt a tad bit conscious considering that Dadi Masi's son and grandson, Niaz and Haneef had joined them.

However, Dadi Masi wasn't the kind to make her guests feel out of place, and as they consumed the delicious home cooked food, she made sure their meals were accompanied with a steady chatter so Anabya could feel at home.

She was in the middle of accepting a second serving of food when Haneef asked his cousin, "So, Shamaaz, how's married life treating you?"

"Good question, beta," Dadi Masi complimented, "But I think Anabya must be asked the question, look at this guy, he looks happy, he's got the perfect wife, obviously married life is treating him well."

"I agree, Dadi Masi," Shamaaz said, finding the positivity in her sarcasm. "Bya was my choice, then how can you expect anything less from your grandson's wife?"

"I'm not even surprised to find out today she was your choice, always knew Tanzila couldn't get a daughter in law like this even if she went around hunting." Smiling sweetly to cover her brutally honest opinion, she continued, "Anabya, is this boy being a badtameez or does he treat you well?"

"Umm..." Anabya dragged, finding it strange to answer a question like that in front of an unknown audience.

"Leave my wife alone, Dadi Masi," Shamaaz said, taking a spoonful of rice, "She's very shy."

Shy? No way, she was keeping quiet because her answer to that question was endless.

"We're very glad to have you as a part of our family, Anabya," Nahida Aunty smiled, "So please feel comfortable, I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us."