Chapter 18: Perception

9th March, 2017

Alhamdulilah, keeping to my word and here's an early update. 

Happy reading! And don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the update. :)

Note: The picture and the story in this chapter is taken from GMB Akash's page on facebook. He's a street photographer and he's, truly, amazing. May Allah guide him to do what pleases Him. <3

"O' you who have true faith! Keep away from all sorts of conjecture since surely some types of conjecture may lead to sin. In addition, do not spy on and do not back-bite one another. Do any of you (who back-bite) love to eat the flesh of your dead brother? Rather, you detest this act, therefore have consciousness of Allah. Certainly Allah is the One who is Oft-Turning to you in Repentance, Merciful." 

[Qur'an] 

Chapter 18:

Perception

"I've already selected my wedding ring and when I showed it to dad, he was just like,

My dear, in that much money you can get ten poor couples married."

Seeing Mariam chuckle, Shamaaz found himself smile.

"Why do all women love expensive jewelry?"

"It makes us happy," Mariam shrugged. "We relate ourselves to exquisite jewels, they're unique, beautiful and totally worth it."

"A materialistic comparison, don't you think?" Shamaaz teased and even before Mariam could get offended, he corrected, "But that's alright. I wouldn't expect anything less. It's a girl thing I suppose."

The two were having lunch at a Chinese restaurant in a mall, and at three months, Shamaaz would say things were great between them.

"So about yesterday..." Mariam started.

Almost great.

"What about it?" Shamaaz questioned, looking oblivious.

"Why did your mood go from good to bad in just a few seconds?"

Twirling his folk around the spaghetti, Shamaaz met Mariam's eyes and wondered if he should tell her what was going on in his mind.

However, there was one thing that was stopping him. See, during the time Shamaaz had spent with Mariam, he had realized for all those looks of hers, she was also quite intelligent and smart when she wanted to be.

Conversation with her was fun and she even liked cricket, so that was a huge huge plus. The more time he spent with her, the more he liked her. They just clicked together, and were like a house on fire.

However, there was one thing about her that he disliked. It didn't take much for her to get offended. And slowly, that was becoming a big issue and plaguing their relationship.

He could be stating his opinion and the girl would take it to a whole new level.

"Oh come on, babe, just tell me already."

"Ok so," Shamaaz started, not hesitating any more. "Has it ever occurred to you that, you know, maybe you should..." Shamaaz sighed, not sure how exactly to frame the sentence.

"I'm waiting," Mariam stated, throwing a curious glance his way.

"Fine," he said, throwing his hands in the air, "I didn't like the way Hamad hugged you yesterday."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mariam shot back, taking offence.

"Exactly what I meant. I've never said this about any of your guy friends before, but something about Hamad didn't sit well with me."