Chapter 41: Wounds wrapped in smiles

16th May, 2018

A lot of you wanted an update before Ramadan and while at one point I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to, I tried and alhamdulilah here it is. As most of you already know, I don't update during Ramadan so please don't waste your time waiting for one. In fact, I have a request, please don't spend too much time thinking about this book and its fictional characters and wondering how the story would proceed because while I LOVE all of you for being so involved and supportive, Ramadan is your chance to turn all your dreams to reality so don't lose those precious moments by being too hooked over fictional books.

May Allah help us make the best out of this Ramadan, and make it a source for us to reach Jannatul Firdose. May He elevate the status of Muslims and grant us victory over the disbelievers. Allahumma A'izzal Islama wal Muslimeen <3 See you after Eid in sha Allah! :*

"Whoever controls his anger at the time when he has the means to act upon it, Allaah will fill his heart with contentment on the Day of Resurrection."

(Reported by al-Tabaraani)

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The strong man is not the one who can overpower others (in wrestling); rather, the strong man is the one who controls himself when he gets angry."

(Reported by Ahmad)

Chapter 41:

Wounds wrapped in smiles

Anabya stared blankly at the narrow stream of sunlight that escaped through the balcony doors, expertly dodging their lush curtains that failed to keep away the darkness for a few more minutes.

As the universe offered her hope, it was the first time Anabya refused to accept it.

The empty spot beside her reminded her of all the things she hadn't forgotten since the previous night. Then again, in case she'd even dare to miss out on the slightest detail, the migraine she suffered from did the job well to flash all that had transpired a few hours ago

A furious Shamaaz speaking on the phone while smoking a cigarette.

A painful sigh escaped her lips at the thought, her eyes threatening to spill with tears she hadn't given free rein up until now. She gulped back her emotions and sat up on the bed, massaging her scalp before she gathered her hair in a messy bun.

Although she didn't think she could, she got up from her bed and mustered the energy to freshen up before she walked to the kitchen, and for the first time during her stay in this city she made chai for herself instead of coffee, thanks to the pounding in her head. That in turn reminded her of a certain someone, and she winced at the thought.

It was late in the night that he had returned home after walking out on her, and she had been awake but pretended to be asleep as she heard him change before he came to bed. She had slept that way, her back to him for several minutes recollecting the hostile moments until sleep finally overtook her.

Now, as she sat in her room, sipping her husband's favorite beverage, it tasted of betrayal, lies and anguish, a bitter flavor that refused to leave without burning her.

Keeping aside the empty cup, she looked around the mess in her bedroom, a proof that last night was more that just a nightmare. Biting her lip, she got up, picking up all the articles she had thrown around in anger, frowning as she tidied the place, a part of her even questioning why she bothered to neatly place his shirts back in the hanger, fold his pants, place his sports essentials in their designated place when she could just dump them. Not listening to that voice, she went about her job before sitting back on the bed and resting her head on her knees while she wrapped her arms around herself. She closed her eyes as she took a deep breath, wondering how in the world had things gone downhill just when they were, after such a long time, moving somewhere.