Chapter 5

After another twenty minutes of agony, the bus finally reached the zoo. You take out your earbuds and close your music tab on your phone.

Your chaperone, who was the assistant principal of the school, stood up and he cleared his throat to get the attention of the bus.

"Alright everyone, listen up! We are going to be in a neat and orderly fashion while we are here visiting, we will be moving counterclockwise around the zoo. We should be back on the buses by 3 to get to the school by 3:50... possibly 4:00 if we take another long rest stop like we had on the way here." The assistant principal says, "So if you ever happen to get lost, remember to find your way to the buses before 3!"

The assistant principal gives a half hearted laugh at his own joke before he orders everyone off the bus. Again, you didn't move until everyone was practically outside before you got up. You hung your arms around your waist as you slowly step off the bus.

Your group was already pulling off and into the gates of the zoo when your feet touched the ground. You slowly trudged behind them, your eyes locked on two people who slowly began to drift towards each other, like their hearts were magnets that brought them together so painfully slow.

A pout forms on your face as your group pulls to the side to look at a group of owls. You stare at the Snowy Owl and notice it's golden gaze is fixated on you. You two practically have a staring contest, you tilt your head to the right and it mimicked your movements. You smile a little and a short laugh goes through your nose.

"Are you copying me?" You ask it before tilting your head to the other side, it copied you once more and you smile as you step closer to the cage containing the bird. It flaps its white and grey wings and sits on a perch that's the closest to you and leans its head closer to the cage to look at you.

You stare into it's eyes, the small smile on your lips as the bird barely blinks when it looks at you, "Your eyes are captivating," You mutter as you tilt your head again, "If only a human would stare at me as intently as you do." You laugh at yourself again before your mood falters as the vision of Hoseok staring at Joy lovingly like you wished he would look at you.

You hear the owl squawk and you pick your head to look at it again, it's feathers were ruffled and it's wings were slightly spread, it shifted its weight from side to side before it settled down to stare at you again.

"It seems he really likes you," You slightly jump at the voice of one of the zookeepers, her voice was quiet, but it still scared you. You quickly gain your composure and clear your throat a bit.

"Y-Yeah it seems so." You stutter out as the owl continues to look at you, this time he was the one to tilt its head and you copied his movement and smiled again. 

"I don't think he's ever looked at someone for this long before," The zookeeper smiles before turning to you, "You should feel special. He's usually pretty much a hermit, he doesn't really like it when people look at him."

"It's an honor," You softly laugh and glance towards the zookeeper, she was shorter than you so you had to look down at her. You turn your gaze back to your group to see that they were already several feet away from you.

"Ah, I gotta go, see ya!" You wave to the zookeeper and the owl before you rush after your group.

When you caught up with them, it was as if you were never part of the group in the first place. You shove your hands in your pockets and your heart skips a beat when your fingers graze your phone. You frown again, you wish you had gotten a picture of that owl.

'Maybe I can quickly go back to him before I get on the bus, the owl cages aren't too far from the exit...' You nod your head, happy with your decision.