Ch. 22

I woke up feeling sore, and mentally exhausted. My entire body hurt, but I felt refreshed. Something about waking up without having to be in a state of worry almost immediately was different, it was new but it was good; I wished it could always be like this.
I stretched slightly, trying as hard as I could to be gentle, then stood up.

I left the room and walked downstairs, mumbles came from the kitchen, quickly stopping once the sound of my footsteps grew louder. I peered around the corner, three pairs of eyes looking right back at me causing me to frown.
"What're you guys doing here?" I query.

Mr. Hemmings quickly beat everyone to it and spoke on behalf of the group. "Mr. Clifford suggested that we all carpool together on the way to school." I kept my eyes on Mr. Hemmings, slightly admiring his choice of outfit before snapping back into reality. "I don't need babysitters everywhere I go," I respond back.

"Well according to Mr. Clifford you-"

"Mr. Clifford doesn't even know what he's talking about." I snap. I wasn't even meaning to be rude, but I wasn't sure how I felt about carpooling with my teachers, especially one I've come close to kissing; it interferes with how the day goes. They all stared at me, Mr. Clifford's eyebrows pulled into a pinch as he crossed his arms. I sighed, "I'm sorry, my body just hurts and my head is pounding."

Their features softened up, now they were all looking at me sympathetically which drove me even more crazy. I refrained myself from saying anything and walked into the kitchen to get some water. "Do you want me to look at where it hurts?" Mr. Clifford asks.

"No," I respond quickly, "Deanna was supposed to do that."

He sighed and scratched the back of his neck, "Maybe you should stay home for the day. Give yourself some more time to re collect, and maybe eat. Just relax. Deanna usually gets home a few hours before I do; she can take a look at your cuts and stuff when she gets back."

I nodded to what he said and rubbed my arm, stiffening slightly as he reached over to pat my shoulder. Mr. Hemmings only stared at me, his expression was sad, Like a puppy whose been left outside. I watched as the three grown men left the house, each one reluctant to do so, worried something else might happen. I let out a deep breath, one that felt like I was holding in forever.

I pushed myself towards the bathroom upstairs; I was eager to shower, I felt muggy and gross. Once I got up there I closed the door and turned the shower on. Stripping off the clothes Deanna gave me, I let my hair down and stepped in immediately feeling the hot water cascade down my back. It stung certain parts of my body but I couldn't complain. As long as my body's clean I'm okay.

I couldn't bare much of the pain when the water hit, so I quickly finished my shower and stepped out. Wrapping my hair in a towel, I dried off and slipped the other clothes back on. I had nothing of mine with me, and any money I had was in my closet at home. I sighed taking the towel off my head, and shoved my phone into my pocket, flicking the lights off and going downstairs. I walked around the somewhat large house, touching everything I could and trying to keep my mind busy.

I walked over to the couch and plopped down. What can I do for the remaining time I'm by myself?

-

I hung upside down on the sofa, feeling the blood rush to my face. I was beyond bored; it's only been an hour and I couldn't think of a single thing that could keep me busy. I groaned and sat up, slouching as I ran my fingers through my hair.

Before I could think twice, I grabbed my shoes and slipped them on then disappeared out the door. There was absolutely no way I could sit in that house alone for that long. I've never stayed home from school and this year seems to be the year I've missed most classes.