Ch. 17

In my whole life, I have never felt more uncomfortable than I do this very moment.

It was exactly 2 in the morning, and I couldn't help but toss around in the big bed every 10 minutes. I was either too hot or too cold, too many pillows or not enough pillows, whatever it was it was never ending and I couldn't understand it. I huffed and tossed the duvet off of me and stood up, slipping my hoodie on.

I tiptoed out of the room and downstairs, the wooden floors creaked but not loud enough for the house to hear. Peering around the corner, a light from the kitchen dimly lit the room itself and its outer perimeter. I walked closer and saw Mr. Clifford sitting at the island, a glass of milk on his left and cookies on his right. I took another step in, the movement catching his attention.

"couldn't sleep?"

I nod and make my way over to the stool across from him. Taking a seat, we both sit quietly before I lean over and take one of the Cookies and dunk it into his glass of milk. I sit back and take a bite, exhaling and Resting my head on the palm of my hand. I could feel his stare, one of the few things he's been doing a lot. My eyes darted towards him, shifting uncomfortably in my seat as I chewed my food. "What," I say in a muffled tone.

"You've a bruise on your face." He states, at this point I couldn't hide it, and him seeing what's on my face was inevitable. "Thanks for noticing." He furrows his eyebrows at my response and crosses his arms. I purse my lips and slowly slide my hand across the granite counter top. He watches my hand as it hooks onto the case of cookies, and slides back closer to me, and then looks at me once again. I keep eye contact, all while taking one cookie after another, dipping it in the milk, and taking a bite. After a while he sighs and leans forward grabbing a cookie as well and doing the same.

"Did you really get locked out?" I nodded to answer his question and pulled out another cookie. "What's gonna happen when your nephew shows up and no ones home?"

I drew my eyebrows into a pinch, "nephew?" I respond taking a bite.

He remains silent looking at me with a serious but slightly confused look. "Oh! Um Jackson. I-I texted them to let em know. They booked a hotel."

He hummed in response, playing with the crumbs on the counter. "Sooo, where'd you get the bruises from?"

I tucked a leg under me and looked at him, once again resting my head on my hand. "They look a little more new than the ones from before." He speaks up again.

"Just an accident. Bike riding through town," I explain falsely, looking down at the remaining cookie in front of me. He nods and chuckles slightly as I shove the last bit of dessert into my mouth.

"Got any plans for new years?"

I shrugged and wiped the counter. Mr. Clifford finished the milk and placed the empty glass in the sink. He leaned his back against the counter and crossed his arms. "Nothin exciting?" I laughed slightly and mimicked his posture.

"I might plan something with jasmine. fireworks, maybe booze, but who knows." I say shrugging.

"Booze? You're just a baby, you girls don't need to be drinkin."

I laugh and let my hands fall to my sides. "Thanks Mr. Clifford but last time I checked you were my gym teacher not my dad. But I appreciate it."

He rolled his eyes, a smirk set on his face. "Well I am a father, and I do know that if you were my child, I'd be a bit worried about you drinkin. Where's your dad anyway?"

I looked down at my hands and picked at my nails. "He's away on business, in Finland." Another lie slipped out of my mouth, only with more ease. It was quiet for a couple minutes, this time it wasn't awkward, or uncomfortable.